|diplomatic = embassy|
|An embassy or diplomatic mission, the official representation of a foreign country or multi-national institution in another country, headed by an ambassador or equivalently ranked chief of mission.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The tag diplomatic=embassy is used with office=diplomatic to map an embassy or diplomatic mission: the official representation of a foreign country or multi-national institution (such as the United Nations or the European Union) in another country.
Embassies are usually located in the capital city of the receiving country. They serve primarily diplomatic and political purposes and are headed by an ambassador or an equivalently ranked chief of mission.
In many cases, though not necessarily, embassies will also have a consular section that is responsible for handling Visa requests, passport matters, and the like.
How to map
The tag embassy=* may be used to specify the type of embassy with the values of:
- embassy=yes - an classic embassy with an ambassador
- embassy=high_commission - high commission
- embassy=nunciature - diplomatic mission sent from the Vatican
- embassy=interests_section - a country that represents another sovereign state in a country where it lacks its own diplomatic representation
- embassy=mission - diplomatic mission to or from a multilateral organization such as the United Nations
- embassy=delegation - a delegation is headed by an ambassador
- embassy=branch_embassy - like trade office or cultural centre
- embassy=residence - residence of an ambassador or other diplomatic chief of mission
Other useful tags:
- country=* may be used to indicate the country that has sent the embassy
- target=* may be used to indicate the receiving country of a diplomatic mission.
Tags to use in combination
Three additional optional tags describing available services may be applied:
- diplomatic:services:non-immigrant_visas=yes/no - Availability of non-immigrant visa services (such as tourist and short-term student or business visas) at the embassy
- diplomatic:services:immigrant_visas=yes/no - Availability of immigrant visa services (for example, Resident and Work visas) at the embassy
- diplomatic:services:citizen_services=yes/no - Availability of passport and other document services, for citizens of the sending country of the embassy
Possible tagging mistake
- diplomatic=consulate - A consulates, consular agencies or office, including honorary consuls.
- diplomatic=liaison - A government-to-government office which lacks consular or embassy status, including subnational missions.
- office=government - An office of a supra-national, national, regional or local government agency or department
- office=ngo - An office of a non-governmental organisation (NGO)