|man_made = nesting_site|
|A man made nesting aid that is mounted on a support device.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A man_made=nesting_site is man made device equipped with one or multiple nests, serving as an artificial nesting aid for wild animals (mostly birds), compensating the reduction of traditional nesting opportunities.
The tag value should be used only for man made, this means artificial nesting aids. It is not intended to be used for any kind of natural nests. It's also not meant for other man made devices that "accidently" carry an animal nest, e.g. like "misused" power towers and chimneys for bird nesting.
- Optionally, a support=* can be given to tell about the mounting of the nesting site, e.g. a pole or a wall.
- The nesting site may be optionally specialized for the species, using species=*.
- Additionally, a capacity=* can be given, as nesting sites with a different number of nests have been sighted.
A single node particularized with capacity=2 may be used this case
Here's an example for a Common House Martin nesting colony mounted on a pole:
man_made=nesting_site support=pole species=Delichon urbicum species:en=Common house martin species:de=Mehlschwalbe material=metal capacity=44 name=Liberty City Bird Hotel
For a wall mounted nesting site a proper adaption may be:
man_made=nesting_site support=wall_mounted species:de=Rauchschwalbe capacity=3
For an artifical white storks nesting site deployed on a roof the tagging may be:
As already stated in the above, man_made=nesting_site should only be used for artificial nesting aids. Please think about possible consequences (e.g. vandalism) when tagging a nesting site. Use the following rules as a guideline:
- You should map nesting sites that act as landmarks
- You should map well visible nesting site constructions in urban areas
- You should not map natural nesting sites
- You should not map nesting aids for endangered birds
- You should not map economically used animal nestings without asking the owner; these are not in the focus of this proposal, anyway
- You should not tag the species=* for endangered animals
These guidelines are based on common mapping ethics. Please also refer to the many discussions about this topic.