|shop = tobacco|
|A shop selling tobacco, and possibly other convenience items|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A store that sells tobacco and smoking accessories. It might also sell other convenience items, such as magazines, newspapers, sweets and stamps.
How to map
Set a node or draw as an area along the shop outline. Tag it with shop=tobacco. Add name using name=* or use noname=yes to mark that shop has no name.
If the point of sale is a vending machine, add it separately tagged as amenity=vending_machine + vending=cigarettes.
- operator=* - Operator
- addr:*=* - Address information
- contact:*=* - Contact information
- website=* - Website
- phone=* - Phonenumber
- opening_hours=* - Opening hours
- lottery=yes - If they sell also lottery tickets
- stamps=yes - Whether they sell revenue stamps
- salt=yes - Whether they sell salt (from Italian Wiki - Discuss: Talk:Tag:shop=tobacco)
In Europe, ref=* is de facto being used for the reference of the store. Typically the value is taken from signage and typically it refers to a local or regional municipality's or a governmental agency's list of authorized tobacco shops. The tag does not tell whether the mapper entered the tobacco-specific reference, if additional kinds of goods subject to State restrictions are sold (see below for the Italian Lotto example).
Italy (as of Q1 2023) de facto uses ref:tobacco=* and authorization=* for the tobacco reseller number, while ref=* has minor usage. The tags are discussed in this community forum thread. Most Italian tobacco shops also sell Lotto tickets, for which there is a second, independent authorization reference number (seen on the signage as Ricevitoria numero 111). In this case, authorization=* does not tell which authorization number it is. ref:tobacco=* allows to distinguish the tobacco authorization number from the Lotto authorization number without ambiguity.
The keys tobacco=yes (used more often but the meaning is not documented or inherent) or sells:tobacco=yes (used rarely but has clear semantics) can be added to places that sell tobacco, but are not considered tobacco shops because they fall into a different typology and the sale of tobacco is not their main activity (e.g. a kiosk, a bar, a grocery store, a restaurant, ...).
- Check out the German language site Austria/Tabaktrafiken for tagging "Tabaktrafiken" and other tobacco selling points in Austria.
- shop=kiosk - for kiosks, i.e. small structures on the pavement selling magazines, tobacco, newspapers, sweets and stamps.
- shop=newsagent - for shops that sell newspapers and magazines, and sometimes convenience items.
- shop=e-cigarette - for shops that sell only electronic cigarettes.
- amenity=vending_machine + vending=cigarettes - A cigarette machine is a vending machine that dispenses packets of cigarettes