|shop = variety_store|
|A variety store or price-point retailer is a retail shop that sells inexpensive items|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A variety store or price-point retailer is a retail shop that sells inexpensive items, usually with a single price point for all items in the store. Typical merchandise includes cleaning supplies, toys, and confectionery.
Other names include "dollar store", "discount store", "bargain store", "bargain basement", "pound shop", "two euro shop". Common franchise/brand names in the UK: poundstretcher, poundland, everything's a pound, 99p store (and many more). Common Brands/chains of these in the USA include Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Ollie's. In Canada, Dollarama is the largest dollar store chain.
Other names in Spanish-speaking countries include «tienda de todo a cien», «tienda don cien», «tienda de todo a mil», «tienda de todo a cinco mil», «tienda de todo por dos pesos», «tienda de todo a dólar», «tienda de todo a un solo precio», «tienda dolarazo», or «tienda cincuentazo».
How to map
- operator=* indicates the name of the company operating the variety store
- opening_hours=* hours of opening
- wheelchair=* suitable for wheelchairs
- shop=department_store - Can be similar, but generally higher quality goods. Less compact shelves and might not have aisles with trolleys/shopping carts.
- shop=supermarket - aisles with trolleys/carts, but tends be a lot more about food including perishable foods.
- shop=hardware - Some overlap, with product types, particularly kitchenware & homewares, but hardware is more typically about nuts and bolts and tools etc.
- shop=gift - shop selling gifts / greetings cards
- shop=party - Shop selling party supplies like decorations, invitations and costumes.