|shop = general|
|A general store. Small shop selling variety of different products.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A. Selling various things. It may be preferable to use other shop values. A general store is old shop type that covered all, or nearly all needs of entire settlement. Were popular and continue to exist especially in rural or remote locations.
In the UK a "general stores" is grocery+other stuff - so basic foodstuffs, some ironmongery (=DIY), some stationery, and so on. It's an old-fashioned UK shop that is sadly dying out in the age of the supermarket.
Traditionally a "general store" is the main (and often only) store in a small town or village, usually selling things like tools, building supplies, clothes, food, and similar items. Usually they only carry a small selection of the most frequently demanded products.
A contemporary "general merchandiser" is typically larger and carries a similar selection of general merchandise, usually excluding food items. When divided into departments, may be considered a "department store" (e.g. Sears), although most contemporary department stores do not carry tools or building supplies.
How to map
Tags to use in combination
- shop=supermarket - Very similar but perhaps with more of a focus on food. General stores are also much smaller than supermarkets. Using it is preferable in cases when it fits.
- shop=convenience - Very similar. Smaller than a supermarket, but wider product range than convenience shop. Using it is preferable in cases when it fits.
- shop=variety_store - May be similar. Sells discounted or very inexpensive goods.
- shop=department_store - A large store with multiple clothing and other general merchandise departments.
- shop=doityourself - A shop primarily selling DIY, hardware, ironmongery, tools etc.