|shop = general|
|A general store. Small shop selling variety of different products.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Ais an establishment selling various things. It may be preferable to use other shop values when suitable. A general store is an old type of shop that covered all, or nearly all, of the needs of the entire settlement. They were popular and continue to exist mostly in rural or remote locations.
This tag partially overlaps with shop=supermarket, shop=convenience and (to some extent) shop=country_store. What makes the issue more confusing is that the UK definition is different from the rest of the English-speaking world:
In the UK a "general stores" is a grocery and some other stuff, so would include basic foodstuffs, some characteristics of a shop=hardware or shop=doityourself, some stationery, and so on. It's an old-fashioned type of UK shop that is becoming increasingly rarer.
US and Australia
Traditionally a "general store" is the main (and often only) store in a small town or village, usually selling things like tools, building supplies, clothes, food, and similar items. Usually they only carry a small selection of the most frequently demanded products.
A contemporary "general merchandiser" is typically larger and carries a similar selection of general merchandise, usually excluding food items. When divided into departments, may be considered a "department store" (e.g. Sears), although most contemporary department stores do not carry tools or building supplies.
How to map
Tags to use in combination
- shop=supermarket - Very similar but with more of a focus on food. General stores are also much smaller than supermarkets. Using the supermarket is preferable in cases where it fits.
- shop=convenience - Very similar, smaller than a supermarket. The general store has a wider product range than a convenience shop. Using the convenience shop is preferable in cases where it fits.
- shop=variety_store - Similar, but focusses rather on discounted or very inexpensive goods than a wide product range.
- shop=department_store - A large store with multiple clothing and other general merchandise departments.
- shop=doityourself - A shop primarily selling DIY, hardware, ironmongery, tools etc.
- shop=hardware - A shop only selling hardware, ironmongery, tools etc.