|shop = country_store|
|A Country Store is a UK term for a shop selling a range of goods specifically aimed at country dwellers.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Ais a UK term for shops selling a range of goods specifically aimed at country dwellers. Typical categories are: outdoor clothing and footwear, (particularly for hunting, riding etc), saddlery and other equestrian supplies, garden supplies, garden machinery for large gardens, pet supplies, feedstuffs for horses and other animals, fuel such as LPG. Typical customers may have large gardens, paddocks or small holdings, but are not traditional farmers.
In the UK Countrywide Farmers, trading as Countrywide have 71 stores, but there are many independents. The UK trade magazine Retail Week' refers to the category as rural supplies.
Recent discussion on IRC suggested that similar shops are readily recognisable in Norway & Denmark. About 700 are tagged in the US, compared to about 800 worldwide (as of August 2019).
How to map
- name=* the name of the country store
- operator=* indicates the name of the company operating the country store
- opening_hours=* hours of opening
- wheelchair=* suitable for wheelchairs
- shop=hardware - Some overlap, with product types, particularly kitchenware & homewares, but hardware is more typically about nuts and bolts and tools etc.
- shop=variety_store - shop selling goods in a number of disparate but well defined categories (as distinct to the less general meaning of one selling purely at a cheap price point).
Various other tags have a clearer overlap:
- shop=agrarian - Probably the most popular tag in the category, but awkward as the word in this context is an adjective not a noun (agrarian as a noun refers to people with particular views on land tenure).
- shop=farm_supplies - Also used for places solely selling animal feed or seeds.
- shop=agricultural_supplies - As above