|shop = hardware|
|A shop which sells timber, tools and other building products|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A hardware store, sometimes known as an ironmongers shop in the UK, is where you can buy screws and bolts, nails, hooks and other metal materials as well as metal tools. A hardware shop will often stock a wide range of products which can include building, electrical, plumbing supplies, garden tools, power tools, kitchenware, homeware, locks, keys, and a key-cutting. Where these types of product/service are supplied in isolation, a different tag may be more appropriate.
See, or for more information.
Examples of hardware stores: True Value (USA)
How to map
Tags used in combination
- operator=* indicates the name of the company operating the shop
- opening_hours=* hours of opening
- wheelchair=* suitable for wheelchairs
- shop=doityourself- A Do-it-Yourself-store (DIY for short) offers supplies for doing things yourself - household repairs and improvements, making things from wood and other materials. For example: paint, drilling machine, light-bulbs, screw-driver, bbq-stuff. TODO: Document how to distinguish (under discussion)
- shop=trade - A place of business that sells to a particular trade or trades, but normally also retails to normal consumers. Examples include building supplies, timber yards, plumbing specialists and so on.
- shop=locksmith - a shop where you can get keys cut. They are usually small highstreet shops. May also sell new locks, and offer other services for repair, assembly and design of locks.
- shop=electrical - Shop selling electrical supplies and devices.
- shop=lighting - A shop selling lighting fixtures.
- shop=electronics - Shop selling consumer electronics (TV, radio, fridge) A shop just selling "power tools" would probably count as shop=hardware though
- shop=variety_store - A retail store that sells inexpensive items, sometimes at fixed price point. Goods cut across several categories, but often include hardware, kitchenware, homeware items.
- craft=* - Relatively new tagging scheme. A whole key for shops where people *do* a trade such as carpenters.