UK Quarterly Project/2021/2021 Q2 Project: Buildings
The second UK Quarterly Project of 2021 is Buildings. Trace missing buildings, follow up on construction sites and new builds, or add more details to existing buildings.
Please add the hashtag #ukqp to your changesets.
- Written a blog post or made a video about your involvement? - Add it here.
Useful Wiki Pages
Please avoid using Tag:building=residential as it can almost always be inferred by Tag:landuse=residential and it negativity effects on the ground surveys with StreetComplete. If you don't know what type of building it is, Tag:building=yes is not a bad tag.
Potential sources and tools
- Bing has remarkable imagery available in a lot of the UK now.
- The new OSMUK Property Boundaries overlay can help align and split buildings.
- Sites like Mapillary, Geograph can give a side view to get a better feel for buildings in the area
Things to do
Expand existing data
- Add more specific traces
- Improve alignment
- Add more accurate building types
- Checkup on Tag:landuse=construction
Add new data
- Add more buildings
mass edit building=flats
Mat Atlee brought up an issue of buildings tagged as flats rather than apartments
There are 1535 in GB that could be mass edited
write UK-specific building mapping guidelines
Rupert Allan from Missing Maps/HOT has asked about mapping terraces in Wales ahead of a humanitarian mapping project. We should write guidelines/methodology for plotting houses in the UK. I suggest starting on this page before splitting it off to a permanent advice page later.
Buildings as nodes
As of 2021-03-04 there are 24,580 building tags on nodes , most cases should be easily fixed to ways.