|latitude: 4, longitude: 109.5|
|Browse map of Malaysia 4°00′00″ N, 109°30′00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Malaysia is a country in Asia at latitude 4°00′00″ North, longitude 109°30′00″ East.
Hello and welcome to WikiProject Malaysia!
Questions? Discussions? You are invited to join the official OpenStreetMap community forum. The Malaysian community forum is also there, so feel free to post anything related (not spam though). In addition, OpenStreetMap Q&A based help forum is another channel to get a fast response.
This page roughly gives some hint about the specific ways to tag a lot of stuff in the Malaysian context. To maintain the map quality over Malaysia with respect to the rest of the world, there should be some sort of convention. Any constructive feedback is really appreciated, do speak your mind in the Malaysian community forum!
|Penutur bahasa Melayu?|
|Jemput ke halaman Wiki OpenStreetMap yang diterjemahkan dalam bahasa Melayu.|
These pages describe the conventions to tag Malaysian highways, waterways, names, etc.
As a kind reminder, besides your knowledge, these are the other sources that can be used to put data into OpenStreetMap.
Permitted data sources
Please make full use of anything that comes with the editor. It doesn't hurt to read more about these, in fact, it may help you save a lot of time in the future.
- Tracing layer: Bing, Mapbox and OpenAerialMap
- GPS tracks: Public OpenStreetMap GPS tracks and Strava heatmaps
Forbidden data sources
- Google Maps, Google Satellite, Google Earth and Google Street View
- HERE Maps
- Geodata from Wikipedia
- Malfreemaps or Malsingmaps
Routable Maps of Malaysia
There are routable maps generated from OSM data for use in certain kind of devices. Listed here are some examples that provide the service.
|Geofabrik (daily update)||Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei||OpenStreetMap data (osm.bz2, osm.pbf)|
|Lambertus's routable maps for Garmin devices||Worldwide||Garmin devices, Mapsource|
| Web browsers
e.g. Open Source Routing Machine; its wiki page (updates every 12 hours)
|Worldwide||Modern Web browsers|
|iOS e.g. GPS Navigation & Maps app||Malaysia||(GPS Navigation & Maps) At least iOS 7|
|Android devices e.g. OsmAnd app||Malaysia||(OsmAnd) At least Android 2.3|
DIY conversion tools
- Osm2mp - Converts OpenStreetMap data into Polish map format (MP).
- mkgmap - Converts OpenStreetMap data into Garmin img map (IMG). Mkgmap wiki.
The followings are recommended readings for everyone
- Map Making Overview
- Map Features
- Editing Standards and Conventions
- Mapping techniques
- Sample areas, Karlsruhe Schema
- Potlatch, JOSM, Kosmos, Osmosis
- Routing, OSM tags for routing, JOSM Relations and Turn Based Restrictions
- Neat Stuff
- Malaysia GPS Trace
- OSM Mapper - keep track of edit sessions on your areas
- OSM Forum
- OSM Forum - users:Malaysia
Other Malaysian mapping communities
- Malfreemaps - Malaysia and Singapore free [Garmin] maps project
- Malsingmaps - [Garmin] GPS Portal of Malaysia and Singapore
- masmap.org - Malaysia open source maps
- What images and maps may I use to make maps from?
- Can I use Google StreetView to help create maps? on OSM Help
- 2a. Can I trace data from Google Maps/Nokia Maps/...? section of the Legal FAQ.
- Importing geodata from Wikipedia
- Putting OSM data into wikimapia is not allowed
- About Malfreemaps - license incompatibility
- Malsingmaps copyright notice - Malsingmaps is for personal use only