Department of Conservation (DOC) has released some data under a license compatible with OSM (Creative Commons by Attribution) . The data has generally been made available under the Official Information Act and can be downloaded from Koordinates.com
- DOC is the New Zealand Department of Conservation. They manage about 1/3rd of the country's (rather rugged) land area.
Anyone particularly interested and/or know about the existing datasets, please put your names here
- Andrew S. has been working to upload various tracks
- User:JoeRichards - would like to know more :)
Which datasets are we talking about exactly?
- Tramping tracks (hiking trails)
- Backcountry Huts & bivouacs
- Conservation estate boundaries
- Points of significance
License is Creative Commons by-attribution 3.0
An email request was made to DOC on 18 June 2009 via the web enquiry form given on their 'Contact us' web page. The question was asked:
- Under the CC Licence the creator has to be attributed. I would propose doing this by adding a upload tag, like "DOC data under CC Licence".
- I'm not asking DOC to endorse this, but merely asking if DOC has strong objections to this proposal (i.e. The intention is to behave in a way that will not be offensive to either DOC or Open Street Map).
A DOC spokesperson replied the following day with the following clarification:
- Thanks for your enquiry. Attached is the general disclaimer that must be displayed with the track dataset. I have also included the metadata which explains a how the track information is created and maintained.
- These tracks are collected as asset information for DOC's internal systems and the data was supplied to Koordinates from an official information request.
- So DOC's only concern is that the general disclaimer is provided with the track data.
- I hope I have provided clarification for you, if you have any questions or would like to discuss please call or email me.
The DOC general disclaimer has been added to the Contributors page, as requested. It is suggested that uploads of this DOC data to OSM provide a link to this page in the upload history tag.
DOC Metadata and General Disclaimer
Spatial Representation of the Department Of Conservation's Assets - Tracks
The tracks fall on public conservation land managed by DOC. They are assets managed by the Department. The Asset Management Information System (AMIS) database provides attribute information of the tracks. The spatial extent of the tracks is maintained by DOC's conservancy staff and held in a national geodatabase.
- The spatial data is captured by 6 different methods
- 1) Differential GPS data capture with infill of missing points
- 2) GPS data capture with infill of missing points
- 3) Digitised from aerial photography (hardcopy)
- 4) Digitised from aerial photography (scanned)
- 5) LINZ 50k topographical data
- 6) Digitised from LINZ MZMS 260 map images
Result of Official Information Act request
This data was provided by DoC under the New Zealand Official Information Act.
Conditions of use
The information and data are provided as a public service by the Department of Conservation (DOC) under the following conditions:
- 1) The information supplied is provided for general information only.
- 2) The Department of Conservation makes no claims, promises or guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the information, or its suitability for any purpose.
- 3) The Department of Conservation does not accept any liability for the content and shall not be responsible or liable for any claims of any kind arising from the use of the information.
- 4) The Crown (through the Department of Conservation) remains the sole owner of the intellectual property in the information on this disk.