- For information on the Austrian city, please see Linz Austria.
LINZ (Toitū Te Whenua Land Information New Zealand) is a NZ government department responsible for creating and holding information concerning land ownership, landuse and landcover. Data from LINZ covers New Zealand, the outer islands, the Cook Islands, Niuē, Tokelau, and the Ross Dependency of Antarctica (see the table below). LINZ has signed an ODbL license waiver to allow its data to be imported into OSM.
|To avoid wasted effort please join the talk-nz mailing list and introduce yourself before uploading any LINZ data on your own. We are doing bulk uploads in a managed way, by consensus and with automation.|
Status @ August 2021
There are three ongoing projects to continue the import of data from LINZ:
- Import/New Zealand Street Addresses (2021)
- Import/New Zealand Buildings
- Import/LINZ Topo50 Continuation (see the large tables below)
|Status @ June 2014|
Attribuition is via an attribution tag and a source ref in all uploads that links to the OSM Contributors page.
"Contains data sourced from Land Information New Zealand. Crown Copyright reserved. Land Information New Zealand gives no warranty in relation to the data, including its accuracy, reliability and suitability and accepts no liability whatsoever in relation to any loss, damage or other costs relating to the use of any data, any compilations, derivative works or modifications of the data".
Official Approval Granted
LINZ has given their express permission to use the LINZ data orignally in 2008 and again in 2011 under the new ODbL:
2008-03-18: LINZ gave their consent to include, modify and derive LINZ data in OSM with suitable attribution.
"Apologies for the delay - after gaining advice from our legal team we have concluded that you are able to use the information providing that you use the following clause for inclusion with the data that is supplied:
"Contains data sourced from Land Information New Zealand. Crown Copyright reserved. Land Information New Zealand gives no warranty in relation to the data, including its accuracy, reliability and suitability and accepts no liability whatsoever in relation to any loss, damage or other costs relating to the use of any data, any compilations, derivative works or modifications of the data"
2011-08-23: LINZ gave their consent to use the new licensing terms:
Further to my phone call yesterday, this email is to confirm that LINZ gives permission to re-license our LDS CC-by data under OSM’s new terms and licences for the purposes of third parties wishing to contribute to the OSM database.
|Click to view historic info about the original import (2009-2014)|
You can view progress on the linz2osm site:
Development has centred around the linz2osm tool which is currently under heavey development to allow for the remaining mainland layers to be easily uploaded and merged into OSM. The basic process is:
Getting Access to linz2osm
We have various tasks to be done from coding to design to tag mapping and uploading.
For the source (GPL) and issue tracker, head to https://github.com/opennewzealand/linz2osm/.
Key Wiki Pages
Some pages that you really should read to understand the whole process. We are currently doing some wiki gardening to clean all of this up.
- As of 2021, importing can by done by anyone, using RapiD for building outlines, and a fork of Rapid for addresses and the topo layers described below.
- For bulk imports, each user must have their own specific LINZ Data uploading account. Name this account [normal osm name]_linz and add it to the list below.
List of Import Accounts
|User Account||Real Name|
|Common upload account|
(often will be Hamish, Glen, or Stephen)
|your_acct_here_linz||Your name here|
These tables lists all the data layers available from LINZ
see #Antarctica below
see #Hydrographic below
|Campbell Islands||2012, 2021|
|Cook Islands||2021 (manually traced)||2021|
|Niuē||2021 (manually traced)||2021|
|Tokelau||2021 (manually traced)||2021|
|Tonga||no data||no data|
|Mainland + Stewart Island||#The_Mainland belowsee||2012 & 2021||#Other belowsee|
All mainland features added after 2020 have ref:linz:topo50_id=*
All Antarctic features added after 2020 have ref:linz:topo50_id=*. The value is a hash of the , since antarctic datasets do not have a
Other useful links:
- An introduction to the different types of buoys and beacons
- documentation of S-57 field names used by LINZ
- The seamark tagging schema
- The code to pick the OSM tags for each feature
- The code to map LINZ's S-57 fields into the OSM seamark system
Previous discussions and notes
- see Talk:LINZ
- A very small amount of hydrographic data is also available for Wallis and Futuna, American Sāmoa, Fiji, Tuvalu, Kiribati, Micronesia (Fed. States of), Norfolk Island, and Macquarie Island.
- currently the most popular tag, and the only documented one
- Most names should come from the NZGB dataset (future import?), except for these 15 categories which aren't gazetted
- if the geometry is too complicated to simplify into a line, the tool will suggest mapping it as an area. Manual simplification requried.