|route = ferry|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Displays the route of a ferry on sea.
How to map
The relation approach is more complicated and is not necessary for basic ferry routes represented by a single way. It is useful for ferry routes, which need to share some ways which are denoting other features (e.g. other ferry routes) The relation approach is standard across other types of transportation routes (which usually spans many individual ways, representing many different roads etc). See Relations/Routes and some more details on Cycle routes for example.
The ferry route should start and end at a ferry terminal amenity=ferry_terminal. At the same point also the access road ends. Between the terminal and the coastal line, there may be a pier man_made=pier which should be tagged with highway=*. Car ferries have often a bridge between the quay wall and the docking point, which is tagged with highway=* + bridge=yes.
The ferry route must not branch in the water, so it must always be drawn to the ferry dock. This is important for routing to work correctly.
Tags to use in combination
Access restriction tags can be used to mark the type of ferry, such as:
- motor_vehicle=yes - Yes. The ferry allows motor vehicles (trucks, cars, motorcycles, ...)
- foot=yes - Yes. The ferry does allow foot passengers.
- bicycle=yes - Yes. The ferry does allow for cyclists.
- See access=* for other access restriction tags. Also see Map Features#Restrictions
Other possible combo tags:
- operator=* - for the name of the operator of a ferry route
- name=* - for the name of a ferry route
- ref=* - for a reference number/code of a ferry route.
- duration=* highly recommended for indicating how long the route takes ('00:05' is 5 minutes, '1:15' an hour fifteen, or '48:00' two days). Important to avoid large detours to avoid ferries for routers that underestimate the speed of ferries. OSRM and GraphHopper support this tag (on ways).
- booking=* first come, first serve only?
- ferry=* - for the type of road the ferry route belongs to (used with the same values as highway=*).
- ferry:cable=yes - Reaction ferry
- amenity=ferry_terminal - for a ferry terminal.
- man_made=pier for ferry stops on a pier.
- Proposed_features/Seaway a proposal for all kinds of ports
- Harbour - Describes many tags in and around a harbour/port.