|barrier = fence|
|A freestanding structure designed to restrict or prevent movement across a boundary, generally distinguished from a wall by the lightness of its construction.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A fence is a freestanding structure designed to restrict or prevent movement across a boundary. It is generally distinguished from a wall by the lightness of its construction.
How to map
Draw a way along the barrier location. This tag may be used either on a way or on a closed way.
For general information on how to map fences and associated features see barriers.
You may also add:
- height=* If you know the height of the fence.
- fence_type=* To detail the material or the properties of the fence.
Fence or wall
The Wikipedia page for Fence notes that "a fence differs from a wall in not having a solid foundation along its whole length."
The page for Wall leaves the distinction more open with "The conventional differentiation is that a fence is of minimal thickness and often open in nature, while a wall is usually more than a nominal thickness and is completely closed, or opaque. More to the point, an exterior structure of wood or wire is generally called a fence—but one of masonry is a wall."
- barrier=wall If the structure is opaque and more solid.
- barrier=hedge If the barrier is a hedge.
- barrier=gate To place a gate in the fence.
- barrier=gate - a section in the fence which can be opened
- barrier=entrance - a gap in the fence which can be passed without restriction
- Proposed features/Fence attributes: old fence type proposal based on fence:type key instead of fence_type.