|The prefix for several diet:* keys to describe dietary options. Should not itself be used as a key.|
|Group: food and beverages|
|Used on these elements|
All tags follow the structure
|diet:vegetarian||synonym for ovo-lacto-vegetarian, no fish or meat|
|diet:vegan||no fish, meat, dairy, eggs or any other animal products|
|diet:halal||permissible for consumption by Muslims|
|diet:kosher||kosher food, permissible for observant Jews|
|diet:gluten_free||no gluten in food|
|diet:meat||cusine focused on meats|
|diet:non-vegetarian||cusine not focused on vegatarians|
|diet:lactose_free||no lactose in food|
|diet:pescetarian||no land-dwelling meat, but allows fish|
|diet:dairy_free||no milk or other dairy products in food|
|diet:sugar_free||Offers options which contain no or very little sugar. This is a requirement for people with diabetes|
|diet:lacto_vegetarian||no fish, meat or eggs|
|diet:ovo_vegetarian||no fish, meat or dairy|
|diet:fruitarian||only fruit, nuts and seeds|
|diet:raw||uncooked and unprocessed only|
- yes - the place provides at least a proper choice for this diet type, constantly available, i.e. full meal in a restaurant, specific section in shop. If in doubt, see note below.
- no - the place doesn't provide this diet type at all, or not reliably, i.e. side-orders or light snack only in a pub, temporary products in a shop.
- only - the place only provides this diet type, N.B. it may often be helpful to tag a vegetarian place with both diet:vegetarian=only and diet:vegan=yes)
Only places that provide a proper choice for an option should be tagged yes. For instance, a restaurant with vegetarian starters but no vegetarian main course is to be tagged no. Same for a pub that can't serve more than light snacks (baked potatoes, green salad) to vegetarians. There is discussion of using the value "limited" as well as yes/no/only, so as to be clearer about the difference between a total absence of options and merely limited options.
- A vegetarian-only Indian restaurant that also offers vegan dishes
- A supermarket that sells vegetarian foods
- OSM Vegan
- OpenStreetBrowser, category "Gastronomy" - the popups show diet Tags (✔ for 'yes', ! for 'only', ✘ for 'no'), also, a filter can be added.
- organic=* - Whether organic food is available
- The original proposal is at proposed features/Vegetarian