GpsMaster is a free (GNU GPL v2) and open source desktop application used to create, view, edit and analyse GPX files. The program is focused toward the analysis of recorded tracks, but also offers features for planning outdoor activities such as backpacking, hiking, and biking.
Written in Java, it runs on Linux, Windows, MacOS or any other platform supporting Java 1.7.
Please note: Java versions higher than 1.7 are officially not supported, but will be in the future.
GpsMaster is based on GPXCreator by Matt Hoover. Without his work, GpsMaster wouldn't exist today.
A note from the author: Although there hasn't been a new release for quite some time now, development is still continuing. New features have already been added, but some minor items are still consuming too much time. Expect either a new release or at least a beta/preview version within reasonable time.
- MessageCenter: consistent and user-friendly, non-intrusive display of messages (info, error, warning)
- Pre-configured slippy maps:
- User-configurable online TileSources
- Find places by name (Nominatim)
- Display multiple GPS Files with tracks, waypoints, routes and segments in user-definable colors
- Progress Labels (distance, absolute and relative time in regular intervals along track)
- Measure time & distance between two trackpoints
- Display of tour statistics like distance, avg. speed, max speed, duration, …
- Display of additional data in GPX Extensions
- Metric, imperial and nautical units
- Interactive, floatable chart (Speed & Elevation). Mouse over chart highlights corresponding trackpoint (and vice versa)
- Split Tracks
- Merge multiple Files, Tracks and Segments into a single file, optionally merge Tracks & Segments
- Elevation correction using MapQuest's Open Elevation Service
- Timeshift: move timestamps of tracks and trackpoints forward / backward in time.
- Cleaning: different algorithms to remove "obsolete" trackpoints
- Undo functionality for most functions
- Download OSM Relations as tracks, i.e. Cycleways
- Find routes using online routing services (Mapquest, YOURS, Graphhopper): Multi threaded, multi provider, undoable
- Manually create routes
- Download tracks from Gpsies.com
- Upload tracks to Gpsies.com
Supported File Formats
Current version and source can be found here: http://www.gpsmaster.org/download/
To run the program, after downloading, do
$ java -jar GpsMaster_*.jar
If this is run in a newer version than Java 8, you will get an error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/bind/JAXBException
The below will fix that:
java -jar GpsMaster_0.63.20.jar --add-modules java.xml.bind
But then you will get:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.SecurityException: Prohibited package name: java.sql
So use Java 8.
Features & Bugfixes in the upcoming release:
- Undo for most functions
- GPSBabel functionality: many additional file formats, conversion
- Batch processing & commandline interface
- Full support of Garmin & Topografix GPX extensions
- Realtime GPS feeds (i.e. NMEA receiver, Airtraffic24, …)
- In-place editing of GPX properties
- Retrieve data directly from GPS receivers
- Colour track sections by certain criteria (statistics, speed, elevation, ...)
Any help and contribution on the following topics is appreciated:
- bug reports
- loader for different file formats (Java code)
- icon design & usability improvements
- configuration editor
info (at) gpsmaster.org for comments, bug reports, feature requests and contributions