|To provide additional information about the related element to the end map user.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The description=* tag can be used to provide additional information about the related element to the end map user, possibly using a pop-up or similar. Text should be kept short; a few words or perhaps one to three sentences at most. Longer information can be provided by tagging a link to Wikipedia or other external website using wikipedia=*, wikidata=*, url=* or website=*.
Use note=* for information which is for use by other mappers (for example a note indicating that the aerial imagery should not be believed or similar).
Never use description=* to add advertising messages. Such spam can and should be removed as soon as spotted. The description should not include subjective evaluations, e.g. "the best restaurant in town", "modern, comfortable hotel, in the heart of the city".
- mtb:description=* - mountain bike relevant description
- whitewater:description=* similar for whitewater
- inscription=* - for the text of inscriptions on objects
- note=* - for adding notes to yourself and your fellow mappers
- website=* - for providing a link to a general external website
- wikipedia=* - for providing a wikipedia.org link
- localwiki=* - for providing a localwiki.org link
- Proposed features/Description
- more description: type tags : https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=description:#keys