|Indicates the subtypes of government agencies and institutions.|
|Used on these elements|
|Documented values: 25|
|Tools for this tag|
The key government=* can be used to define subtypes of government agencies and institutions. It should be used together with office=government. The tag admin_level=* can be used in conjunction to indicate the administrative level (federal, provincial, state, municipal, etc.).
- government=presidency to indicate the seat or an official residence for the head of state.
- government=ministry to indicate the main seat of a ministry or department. Do not use this for all offices and services resorting under a ministry, i.e. do not use this tag for prisons or tax offices even if they fall under the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Finance, respectively.
- government=legislative to indicate the seat of a legislative parliament, senate, or national assemblee (some countries or states have bicameral systems distinguishing them but they are usually distinguished only by their name).
- government=prosecutor to indicate an office of a public prosecutor.
- government=tax to indicate a tax office.
- government=transportation to indicate a transportation office or a DMV in the United States.
- government=register_office to indicate a register office (office to register births, marriages and deaths, locations of migrants, sometimes also to register electors or to deliver some permissions). In many countries this function is a mandatory mission of local collectivities (usually municipalities) but some countries with large rural areas have register offices only at a higher level (county, province, prefecture...) with additional local offices in the most dense and populated cities (but not in every town or village) in which case you'll need this government tag. These offices may be also a service operated locally by the police, or by a local religious authority. In such cases it may not needed to tag these offices separately. The relevant country project page should give details about what is needed.
- government=audit, a Court of Audit or Court of Accounts, a government institution performing financial and/or legal audit (i.e. Statutory audit or External audit) on the executive branch of power.
- government=data_protection, a Data Protection Authority, a public institution in charge to audit, enforce and advise on protection of personal data.
- government=ombudsperson, an Ombudsperson, ombud, ombudsman, ombudswoman, or public advocate is an official who is charged with representing the interests of the public by investigating and addressing complaints of maladministration or a violation of rights.
- government=heritage, heritage protection office.
- government=healthcare, healthcare protection office, may be sanitary inspection in some countries.
- government=education, administrative office of education department.
- government=building_control, administrative office of building inspection service. Includes state construction inspection service.
Values found with Taginfo
The table below shows a selection of some values for this key in alphabetical order, which can be found in Taginfo (all with use of 25 and above as of 12 February 2022[update]). Most of them are undocumented, but the occurrence count is shown. Keep in mind that some of them may be unclear, redundant or conflicting.
Complete listing on Taginfo: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/?key=government#values