Los Angeles, California/Buildings Import
Phase 1 (DONE) - On 2 April 2016 we started importing buildings for LA City (2014 dataset). We are excluding addresses due to various conflation and accuracy issues.
Phase 2 (DONE) - After importing buildings for the City of Los Angeles, we moved on to the rest of Los Angeles County (2014) dataset.
Phase 3 (IN PROGRESS late 2017 and early 2018) - Importing split buildings in Pasadena, Calif.
- Import Los Angeles County's excellent building footprints data set to help Los Angeles mappers create a more effective map.
- Get highly accurate, city-wide address data.
- Import Phase
- Phase 1 - Import LA City 2014 dataset. OSM Tasking Manager will begin in South LA, and expand to the rest of the City based on outcomes with initial import.
- Phase 2 - Import LA County 2008 dataset, without LA City (completed in phase 1) and Pasadena (Separate phase due to city using multiple building parts for a building), 2014 dataset may be released by LA County at the end of the year.
- Phase 3 - Import City of Pasadena
Data source site
- Buildings except LA City (2008) - http://egis3.lacounty.gov/dataportal/2011/04/28/countywide-building-outlines/
- LA City buildings (2014) - http://geohub.lacity.org/datasets/813fcefde1f64b209103107b26a8909f_0
- Addresses - NOTE: we are ignoring these for now http://egis3.lacounty.gov/dataportal/2012/06/19/la-county-address-points/
- Assessor, building uses - https://data.lacounty.gov/Parcel-/Assessor-Parcels-Data-2015/hvzm-fn38
- Census blocks (for dividing the data into manageable chunks) - http://www2.census.gov/
- Building and addresses - http://egis3.lacounty.gov/dataportal/about/termsofuse/
- Assessor, building use - https://data.lacounty.gov/dataset/Terms-of-Use/7d57-yb6q
Buildings were digitized using stereo imagery from Los Angeles Region Image Acquisition Consortium (LARIAC).
Original data is in California State Plane Coordinate System (1983, Zone V).
- Re-project all data to Geographic WGS-84 (EPSG:4326) - the original data uses NAD83 datum. The custom tranformation between NAD83 and WGS84 is here.
- Merge assessor's building use attributes to building polygon based on the the AIN attribute.
- Divide the building and address data into smaller chunks based on census blocks.
- Convert building attributes to OSM tags.
General building attributes
All building contains this tag.
|Shapefile Attribute||OSM Tag||Description|
|AIN||lacounty:ain=*||The parcel ID number from Assesor.|
|BLD_ID||lacounty:bld_id=*||Unique Building ID.|
|ELEV||ele=*||The base elevation of the building. Only if elevation > 0. Converted from feet to meters at 1 decimal digit.|
|HEIGHT||height=*||The height of the highest major feature of the building (not including roof objects like antennas and chimneys). Converted from feet to meters at 1 decimal digit.|
|YearBuilt||start_date=*||Year property was originally built.|
|Units||building:units=*||Total number of living units.|
Building type and use
Building type and use was based on the Assessor data. 3 attributes were used
SpecificUseDetail1. We compared each attribute to taginfo and use existing tags in use in OSM. For all other attribute that doesn't have corresponding tag we used the generic building=yes. Attribute to OSM tag csv file is here.
(General Use of the building, ie, Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Institutional)
|Shapefile Attribute||OSM Tag||# of occurrence|
(More specific use of the building, ie, Single Family Residence, Church, Bowling Alley, Golf Course)
|Shapefile Attribute||OSM Tag||# of occurence|
|Athletic and Amusement Facility,,||944|
|"Auto, Recreation Equipment, Construction Equipment Sales and Service"||11158|
|"Bank, Savings and Loan"||building=commercial||962|
|"Cemetery, Mausoleum, Mortuary"||660|
|Children's Day Care Center||building=kindergarten||126|
|"Club, Lodge Hall, Fraternal Organization"||1427|
|"College, University (Private)"||building=college||1111|
|"Double, Duplex, or Two Units"||building=residential||214214|
|Five or More Units or Apartments (Any Combination)||building=apartments||135339|
|Food Processing Plant||building=factory||1028|
|Four Units (Any Combination)||building=apartments||63366|
|Fruits and Nuts||building=farm_auxiliary||325|
|Government Owned Property||50854|
|Homes for Aged and Others||building=residential||2364|
|Hotel and Motel||building=hotel||3188|
|Manufactured Home Park||building=residential||43579|
|"Motion Picture, Radio and Television Industry"||1173|
|"Non-Auto Service and Repair Shop, Paint Shop, or Laundry"||building=retail||1108|
|Nursery or Greenhouse||building=greenhouse||475|
|Parking Lot (Commercial Use Property)||building=commercial||3601|
|Parking Lot (Industrial Use Property)||building=industrial||931|
|Petroleum and Gas||building=industrial||317|
|"Restaurant, Cocktail Lounge"||building=commercial||6242|
|Rights of Way||34|
|Rivers and Lakes||224|
|Senior Day Care Center||social_facility=day_care||23|
|"Shopping Center (Neighborhood, Community)"||building=retail||4148|
|Shopping Center (Regional)||building=retail||895|
|Single Family Residence||building=house||2174447|
|Three Units (Any Combination)||building=apartments||79120|
|"Warehousing, Distribution, Storage"||building=warehouse||17936|
|Wholesale and Manufacturing Outlet||building=retail||251|
(Additional detail to building, ie Dance Hall, Supermarket)
|Shapefile Attribute||OSM Tag||# of occurence|
|4 Stories or Less||491263|
|5 Stories or More||426|
|Adult Care Facility - Social and Recreational Services||15|
|Adult Day Services - Skilled Care Services Offered||8|
|Artist in Residence||103|
|"Auditorium, Stadium, Amphitheater"||building:use=auditorium||532|
|Auto Body Repair Shop||building:use=car_repair||8666|
|Auto Service Centers (No Gasoline)||building:use=car_repair||662|
|"Building Supplies (Home Depot, etc.)"||76|
|Car Wash Only,,||building:use=car_wash||401|
|"Car Wash Only, Self-service Type"||building:use=car_wash||187|
|"Cement, Rock and Gravel Plant"||140|
|Church Parking Lot||93|
|"Commercial Swimming Pools, School"||40|
|Contractor Storage Yard||building:use=storage_yard||156|
|"Convalescent Hospital, Nursing Home"||183|
|"Discount Department Store (Target, etc.)"||120|
|Farm and Construction Equipment Sales and Service||46|
|Fast Food - Auto Oriented||building:use=fast_food||449|
|Fast Food - Walk Up||building:use=fast_food||596|
|Fee Owned Boat Slip||2|
|"Gymnasium, Health Spa"||182|
|High Rise 5 Stories or More||36|
|"High Value Residence, X Cost Classification"||558|
|"Home Furnishings (Ethan Allen, etc.)"||16|
|Horse Stable - Private||274|
|Hotel - 50 Rooms and Over||617|
|Hotel - Under 50 Rooms||707|
|Legitimate (Stage) Theater||42|
|Lots - Commercial Parking||110|
|Lots - Patron or Employee||3246|
|Medical Dental Building||office=yes||1479|
|Microwave Relay Tower||22|
|Misc. Privately Owned Properties That Do Not Fall Into Any Other Classification||96|
|"Mortuary, Funeral Home"||68|
|Motel - 50 Rooms and Over||371|
|Motel - Under 50 Rooms||1394|
|Motel/Hotel and Apartment Combinations - 50 Units and Over||40|
|Motel/Hotel and Apartment Combinations - Under 50 Units||54|
|Movie - Drive-in||85|
|Movie - Indoor||112|
|New Car Sales and Service||building:use=car||564|
|Office and Residential||office=yes||982|
|Parking Structures - Commercial Parking||67|
|Parking Structures - Patron or Employee||159|
|"Petroleum Refinery, Chemical Plant"||3468|
|Private Rural Pumping Plant||0|
|"Public Storage (Bekins, Lyons)"||163|
|Public Storage - Mini Warehouse||building:use=warehouse||2616|
|"Recreation Equipment Sales and Service (Campers, Motor Homes and Boats)"||103|
|"Restaurant, Cocktail Lounge, Tavern"||5179|
|"Retail-Warehouse Combo (Levitz, etc.)"||45|
|Rights of Way||98|
|"Small Food Store - Less than 6,000 SF"||144|
|Store and Office Combination||office=yes||4189|
|Store and Residential Combination||16004|
|"Supermarket - 12,000 SF or More"||574|
|"Supermarket - 6,000 SF through 11,999 SF"||54|
|"Tennis Court, Club, Pro Shop"||93|
|Trailer and Camper Park (Overnight)||193|
|"Trucking Company, Terminal"||219|
|Used Car Sales||488|
|"Veterinary Hospital, Clinic"||183|
|"Warehouse Store (Costco, etc.)"||63|
|"Warehousing, Distribution, 10,000 to 24,999 SF"||2461|
|"Warehousing, Distribution, 25,000 to 50,000 SF"||1710|
|"Warehousing, Distribution, Over 50,000 SF"||2442|
|"Warehousing, Distribution, Under 10,000 SF"||8396|
|Water Related Facilities||387|
|Wireless Communication Tower||1098|
|With Car Wash||271|
- We will use the Tasking Manager to import data using a dedicated import account.
- Each census block sized .osm file will be download through the Tasking Manager.
- Importers will manually review each buildings and merge to existing buildings in OSM.
- If data in OSM is of better quality, can update tags from imported data.
- Detailed importing steps here: https://github.com/osmlab/labuildings/blob/master/IMPORTING.md
Import process status
|Job No.||Location||Task Mapping Status||Task Validation Status|
|Job #2||Southside LA City||Complete||Complete|
|Job #3||Westside LA City||Complete||Complete|
|Job #6||Central & Eastside LA City||Complete||In Progress|
|Job #7||SF Valley LA City||Complete||In Progress|
- March 31, 2016 @ 6:30 p.m.: MaptimeLA will host a JOSM training and kickstart event for importing.
- April 2, 2016 @ 12:00 p.m.: The Los Angeles Times graphics/data desks hosted a mapathon to teach JOSM and importing with the task manager.
- May 21, 2016 @ 12:00 p.m.: The Los Angeles Times graphics/data desks hosted another mapathon.
Tracked in Github
|Split buildings - merged split buildings to the larger buildings||http://maproulette.org/map/419/||In progress||ticket, diary|
Code and coordination is tracked in the http://github.com/osmlab/labuildings.
- 8-24-2015 We are seeking help in identifying which data attributes will be merged. Coding is not necessary for this effort. Help is needed to fix issue with python code in merging address points with building polygons.
- 01-01-2016 Re-started work on data quality evaluation, coding and attributes to be imported.
- 02-18-2016 Data preparation for first stage of import focusing on combining building and assessor data.
- 03-02-2016 Started outreach to local mappers and community import list.