- Do not confuse with the Luxembourg Province in Belgium.
This page contains information releated to the OpenStreetMap (OSM) activities in Luxembourg.
Join the OpenStreetMap community and help us to improve the map of Luxembourg!
How to start?
Then, you can go into details on these pages:
- How to participate in this project
- How to collect the data
- How to upload GPS tracks
- How to map the real world (an alphabetical list you find here)
Feel free to contribute to these projects (or create new ones):
- Administrative boundaries
- Cities, towns and villages
- Roads (Check here, if your commune is completely mapped!)
- Public transport (bus, railway)
- Cycle Route Network
- Access restrictions
- Highway code unclarities
- Use of wheelchairs: see Wheelmap.org
- Landuse and Buildings
- Hiking trails
There are two main issues:
- Errors - Look at them in KeepRight and correct them with one of the editors JOSM or Potlatch.
- Things not yet mapped - upload your GPS tracks or collect information of important Points-Of_Interest (POI) and add them with JOSM or Potlatch.
Companies using OpenStreetMap in Luxembourg
A list of companies using OpenStreetmap.
The site Maposmatic is a free software web service that allows you to generate maps of cities using OpenStreetMap data. To create a map of a city or commune, try entering its name with its type, e.g. "Commune Steinsel".
- An example of Luxembourg City (Status: 22.12.2010) can be found here: Map of Luxembourg City - PDF(6.7MB) and the corresponding Road Index - PDF
- An example of the City of Esch-sur-Alzette (Status: 20.01.2011) can be found here: Map of Esch-sur-Alzette - PDF(1.8MB) and the corresponding Road Index - PDF
- An example of the City of Ettelbrück (Status: 21.02.2011) can be found here: Map of Ettelbrück - PDF(0.6MB) and the corresponding Road Index - PDF
An example for the use of OSM data for cyclists you'll find on the site velomap.lu, a map of Luxembourg City showing the bicycle rental stations of vel'oH! out of OSM and the bicycle parkings. Also you find the local cycle routes in Luxembourg-City and the National Cycle Routes (Pistes Cyclables), if you switch to base layer "OpenCycleMap". All these routes are taken from the OSM database.
Whilst ongoing projects focus on the data input into OSM, future projects should more focus on the possible outcome of OSM!
First of all, these are useful maps. Here some thoughts (feel free to add):
- Maps for Cyclists (the OpenCycleMap is already implemented and useful , we could add a Vel'oH-Map for the bicycle rental in Luxembourg City, may be later on with live capacity display ;-)
- Maps for tourists (museums, restaurants, public transport facilities)
- Map of public transport (Ville de Luxembourg, Regional lines (RGTR), Railway lines of CFL)
- Maps for new residents (Shopping, Restaurants, Service facilities, Recycling facilities)
- Maps with the areas of the nature preserve (e.g. Portail de l'Environnement du Grand-duché de Luxembourg - Les zones protégées). We could probably import the Natura 2000 zones from the EU.
- Maps with the buildings worthy of protection (e.g. Service des sites et monuments nationaux)
For all these maps we need a almost complete list of the Points Of Interests (POI) with correct tagging! Maybe, we will open a new POI project next time...
And more ambitious:
- Improvement of navigational maps for cyclists (like OpenFietsMap and velomap.org)
- Navigational maps for car navigation (main issue: correct mapping of one-way roads and turn restrictions!)
|Local user group|
|Luxembourg User Group|
And more or less useful:
- Map of post and telco facilities
- Hike and bridle map, like this.
- Hike and cycle map, like this.
- Map for parents (crêches, school, playgrounds), like this.
The OSM mailing list for Luxembourg
Please respect the copyright of these sites; use them to find unmapped things or to check your work, and if there is a doubt, make a survey.
- Règlements de la circulation
- Administration du cadastre et de la topographie
- Administration des ponts et chaussées
- Société nationale des chemins de fer luxembourgeois (CFL) - Points d'acces du Reseau (sic)
- Ville de Luxembourg
- Système d'information urbain, ville de Luxembourg
- Musée National d'Histoire Naturelle, slow but hi-res pictures
- Quality control with Osmose - Quality control with Osmose