Open Database License
|Be aware that this page can be edited by any registered user and does not represent the views of the OSMF. The data is licensed by the OSM Foundation as granted by the contributor terms. Refer to the OSM Foundation website for a more authoritative answer to legal questions:|
OpenStreetMap data is made available for reuse under the Open Database License (ODbL) version 1.0 share-alike license for data. The switch from creative commons license to ODbL took place on 12 September 2012 and followed a lengthy process during which the license was developed. Data published before 12 September is still available under the old CC-BY-SA license. This process was directed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation and documented in their minutes of meetings. The license was developed by the Open Knowledge Foundation.
Most contributors agree to the new terms, however some did not and some 1% of data was lost in the conversion. Considerable efforts have been made by the community to minimise this data loss and to reinstate content which was removed.
Key resources - official
- Licence information on the OpenStreetMap Foundation website.
- The full text of the license is available from OpenDataCommons: https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/
- A Human readable summary is likewise provided: http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/
- The Linux Foundation is hosting archived versions of their supported licences on https://spdx.org/licenses/. You may find a copy of the ODbL-1.0 licence at https://spdx.org/licenses/ODbL-1.0.html
- An archived plain-text version of the Open Database License version 1.0 license (ODbL-1.0) is also available on this wiki.