|barrier = block|
|One or more large immobile block(s) usually barring free access along a way.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Any large, solid, immobile block that can be moved only with heavy machinery or great effort. They are typically placed by humans for stopping larger vehicles – but they can also be placed by natual processes. They are usually concrete structures, natural stone boulders or rocks, but also other objects like metal cubes are possible.
How to tag
Start by placing a tag
on a node that's part of an existing way to indicate where the barrier is. No need to tag each block of a group if they're closely spaced. It's a good idea to also state which kinds of traffic are allowed to pass, and which are not, for example
The tag barrier=block is not only used for barriers, but also for fixing guys of masts, bridges, etc.
- barrier=bollard - has a similar function but is much smaller and may be bendable, foldable etc.
- barrier=planter - boxes and other structures, which typically contain plants for decoration and act as a barrier
- natural=stone - natural boulder or rock fragment that is not attached to the underlying terrain.
- natural=rock - notable rock feature or small group of rocks, attached to the underlying bedrock
- amenity=bench with bench:type=block for massive blocks that serve as a bench or are suitable for sitting