|natural = stone|
|A single notable freestanding rock, which may differ from the composition of the terrain it lies in.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
A large (whatever that might mean) natural boulder or rock fragment that is not attached to the underlying terrain.
How to map
To describe it further use the following additional tags:
- name=* to tag the name of the stone. I.e. "Doane Rock" in Eastham, Massachusetts.
- protected=yes - to tag cultural heritage management.
- website=* the url of a site with specific information to this rock.
- width=n - to tag that the stone has width of n meters
- height=m - to tag that the stone has height of m meters
Some people have started to subtag stones with the tag stone_type=* (a total of 1485 in Sept 2019), with these values:
- conciliation_cross (1353)
- coat_of_arms (74)
- khachkar (23)
- ruhstein (19)
- grooves (6)
- place_of_worship (2)
- glacial_erratic (2)
Fewer have used the stone=* tag, but because others use the same stone-tag to refine material=stone, the situation is less clear. By Sept 2019, most values (on a total of only 122 stone=* objects) are describing the material of the stone (see also the much more used tag material=* for this).
suggested by User:Chrisana13
- historic=archaeological_site - A place in which evidence of past activity is preserved
- historic=memorial + memorial=stone - Specifies a memorial as a stone
- historic=stone - A stone shaped or placed by man with historical value.
- marker=stone - A stone marker is a natural support on which useful information is directly etched or painted
- natural=rock - A notable isolated rock or group of rocks attached to the underlying bedrock.
- Proposed features/rock, now changed to Proposed features/bare_rock to tag land_cover
- OpenSeaMap/Rocks for rocks/stones at sea.