|leisure = garden|
|A place where flowers and other plants are grown in a decorative and structured manner or for scientific purposes.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A garden is a distinguishable planned space, usually outdoors, set aside for the display, cultivation, and enjoyment of plants and other forms of nature. The garden can incorporate both natural and man-made materials. Western gardens are almost universally based on plants. Seeon Wikipedia
A garden can have aesthetic, functional, and recreational uses:
- Cooperation with nature
- Observation of nature
- Growing useful produce
The most common form is known as a residential garden and is generally found in proximity to a residence, such as the front or back garden. The front garden may be a formal and semi-public space and so subject to the constraints of convention and law. While typically found in the yard of the residence, a garden may also be established on a roof, in an atrium, on a balcony, in windowboxes, or on a patio.
Residential gardens are typically designed at human scale, as they are most often intended for private use. However, the garden of a great house, castle or a large estate may be larger than a public park in a village, and may produce foodstuffs as well.
A garden can also be a part of a park and might be for example fenced or distinguishable by its vegetation.
|name=*||Name of the garden|
|garden:type=*||Type of the garden. e.g. residential, community, botanical, see taginfo|
|garden:style=*||Style of the garden, e.g. kitchen, rosarium, french, english, see taginfo|
|access=*||Access tags to describe the allowed or preferred level of access.|
The default rendering stylesheet, Carto, makes no distinction regarding type, style or access properties.
- leisure=park - park, usually urban (municipal)
- landuse=allotments - allotment gardens with multiple land parcels assigned to individuals or families for gardening
- shop=garden_centre - a shop selling potted flowers, and sometimes even trees (for a garden centre with plant nursery)
- landuse=plant_nursery - a plant nursery, which grows live plants for sale
- landuse=flowerbed - public area where flowers are planted.
- landuse=farmland - an area of agricultural fields used for tillage (cereals, vegetables, oil plants and other annual food crops)
Some "gardens" may be tagged as leisure=park (while preserving "garden" part in name=*) with multiple flowerbeds (micromapping). Term "garden" is limited to specific languages rather than objective criteria to distingush gardens from leisure=parks.)