What is the best way to indicate rites? I've given "maronite" and "melkite" as such, but what of Slovak or Hungarian rites? All four (and more, such as Syriac and Antiochean rites) are present in Montreal and it feels to me that a mere denomination=catholic, as I've used for the generic French- and English-speaking parishes in the diocese would be misleading... Circeus 23:18, 24 October 2008 (UTC)
I think denomination=roman_catholic might be better since all churches claim to be catholic with a small c. -- Ed Avis <email@example.com>
An important attribute for a Roman Catholic parish is what diocese it belongs to; for instance, Saint Michael's Roman Catholic Church in Brooklyn, New York belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn. In this particular instance, I've used is_in=diocese. Thoughts on the appropriateness of this usage? --Ceyockey 03:30, 1 January 2010 (UTC)
Rendering of denomination jehovas_witness
This denomination does not use the cross as a symbol, a neutral/default symbol seems more appropriate.
- See wikipedia:Haredi - might be better as denomination=haredi
What's the best way to tag a Christian church shared between two or more denominations? Are multiple denomination tags appropriate:
or a semicolon-separated list
JOSM's validator objects to the latter, by the way. Tonywalton 21:57, 17 May 2010 (UTC)
- Multiple use of same tag is currently not allowed by the system (AFAIK), so it must be semicolon=separated list --Skippern 22:33, 17 May 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks for the advice. Tonywalton 08:02, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
Should probably be changed to denomination=non-denominational as that is the value that's used 85 times in the database (see taginfo). There is only one use of "nondenominational". I opened a trac ticked for JOSM as their validator only support "nondenominational" as currently written here.
In Germany there are several subdenominations to the denomination=evangelical.
I will tag subdenominations with evangelical=freikirchlich-evangelisch.
--Bibodo 03:56, 13 August 2011 (BST)
- Wenn es um Deutschland geht, dann informiere Dich bitte über den Unterschied von "Evangelikal" und "Evangelisch" - Er ist groß!
missionary church of kopimism
What about the missionary church of kopimism?
- Don't ask. Propose and use a value.
d=church_of_sweden is unnecessary
The Church of Sweden is a lutheran church. That's why the denomination tag of it's church buildings should be lutheran!--Geogast 20:38, 10 September 2012 (BST)
Use of underscores
What is the reason for using underscores in place of spaces? I don't see that it serves any purpose. Note that I'm not proposing to change all values, but for newly used values why not use the full name, with spaces, and including proper capitalization? -- Joshdoe 01:31, 11 December 2012 (UTC)
- It is a technical reason, much software (not all of it!) that can or do process the data from openstreetmap is built from general purpose (not map-specific) tools and parts which have an inherent ability to recognize "stuff_with_underscores" as a single unique item, while having more difficulty telling the difference between "stuff without underscores" and "stuff things and more stuff" . Thus whenever assigning a defined indication (as opposed to filling out a human text field such as name), there is a technical need to choose it within a restricted subset of what XML and several other systems can easily recognize. In practice this means use only lower case letters a-z, digits 0-9 and the underscore, with no two underscores after each other, no underscore at the end and the first character being a letter. Some software may cope with use of the dash/minus character and/or UPPERCASE LETTERS, but those are more problematic. So a tag like abcdefg10 works, and so does abcdefg_hijklmn_opqrstu_vwxyz; while abra-cadabbra hmm_____what or bah_ would be problematic; "guess who" or "ølergud" would be a big problem for many systems to process. Jbohmdk 01:53, 16 June 2013 (UTC)
Broad and specific values
I'm a little confused about some of these values, as the granularity seems to vary from very broad to very specific. I'm interested in adding some churches that could be tagged with denomination=presbyterian, but the more specific denomination would be something like "Presbyterian Church in America" or "Orthodox Presbyterian Church". Am I to understand that denomination=presbyterian should only be used if the more specific denomination is not known? Or should I use an additional tag like presbyterian=Orthodox Presbyterian Church? -- Joshdoe 01:37, 11 December 2012 (UTC)
Romanian Orthodox Church
A new tag is needed for Romanian Orthodox Church: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_Orthodox_Church
I propose "romanian_orthodox". This would be along the lines of "serbian_orthodox", "russian_orthodox", etc.
The value for Ahmadiyya is currently listed as
ahmadiyya would make more sense and is already more common according to taginfo. I was going to edit the page to change
ahmadiyya, but I've realised that I would need to change the German, French, etc., versions of the page too. As I don't have much experience here, I hesitate to make a multipage edit without consultation, so I'm posting here for feedback first. -sinh (talk) 10:32, 29 October 2013 (UTC)