- Safe Routes to School Mapping Toolkit
- Get HOA's and civic organizations involved:
- Burke Centre
- Fairfax County, Virginia
- Conflating Virginia road center lines with OSM, though this would be a difficult and long term project.
- Improvement to website and wiki
- I'd have to say the osm.org site needs a serious refresh. The wiki and the main osm.org should be integrated. Individuals usually have just one wiki account, but may have multiple OSM accounts (i.e. for bots, imports, etc), so we'd need to tie them together. We seriously need social networking integration, i.e. login via Facebook account (also OpenID), "Like" button, share changesets, etc. Improve "friend" feature to allow sorting by last edit, etc. Allow for themes? Allow for groups, e.g. small-scale railroads, libraries, waste basket. Allow mapping parties to be planned. Need to read The Rails Port, Creating Community, Facebook group, OSM2Facebook, Front Page Design, UX.
There are a number of proposed features that I use and would like to see approved.
- Sloped curbs/kerb cuts
- Relations/Proposed/Street - possibly use this to associate sidewalks with the adjacent streets
- Proposed features/Playground Equipment - this actually appears to already be approved, but hasn't moved to it's own page yet
- Proposed Features/UUID - persistent, unique IDs would be very useful for correlating other databases to OSM, like Wikipedia and Flickr
- Individual parking spaces - while not a proposal yet, we have the high-res imagery and knowledge to tag individual parking spaces, or at least blocks of spaces, we just need a relation to tie them all together (and avoid hundreds of P's everywhere!)
- Proposed features/Steps features
- Parking related
- Relations/Proposed/Junctions - to make sense of traffic lights at dual carriageways!
I plan to ask for data from various providers, mostly state and county governments. I will post these in, and the first such one is Fairfax County, Virginia/Bus stop database request.
- Not specifically OSM related, but I'd like to figure out how to calculate the surface area of an area given a multi-polygon and a TIN elevation (using only FOSS)
- Figure out how to find particularly steep parts of paths given elevation data and a set of OSM ways (using only FOSS)
Extract Fairfax County
- Download Fairfax County relation, then convert to polyfile using osm2poly.pl
- Download http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/north-america/us/virginia.osm.pbf extract from Geofabrik
- Extract Fairfax County (4MB, took 2 minutes, max CPU on one core of Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows XP, osmosis 0.38)
osmosis --read-pbf file="virginia.osm.pbf" --log-progress --bounding-polygon file="fairfax_border.poly" --write-pbf file="fairfax_county.pbf"
- Extract Fairfax County from PBF on Amazon EC2 micro instance (14m45s):
osmosis --read-pbf file=virginia.osm.pbf --log-progress --bounding-box left=-77.5755 top=39.0718 right=-77.0334 bottom=38.614 --way-key keyList="highway" --used-node --log-progress --write-xml file=virginia.osm.xml
- Add to database (3m7s):
osm2pgrouting -file virginia.osm.xml -dbname virginia -user postgres -passwd postgres -clean -conf ~/devel/osm2pgrouting/mapconfig.xml
- Count bridges:
SELECT COUNT(osm_id) FROM planet_osm_line WHERE bridge IS NOT NULL;
- Get length of bridges in meters:
SELECT SUM(ST_Length(way)) FROM planet_osm_line WHERE bridge IS NOT NULL;
- Get total length of ways tagged with highway=path:
SELECT SUM(ST_Length(way))/1609.344 AS miles FROM planet_osm_line WHERE highway='path';
Burke Centre map
- MapFish, GeoExt, GeoDjango
- votemap - similar features to what I want
- Spatializing your Data - lots of good info
- VBMP 2009: 38.78810019428325,-77.30692443523552
- VBMP 2006: 38.78809840346268,-77.30691771965839
VBMP 2009 as reference
- X-offset: -0.5821 meters
- Y-offset: +0.1991 meters
Bing: Too small offset to determine
GIS data, copyright, FOIA
- punkish.org: Licensing Geographic Data - an essay
- Information about Copyright and Intellectual Property Rights - GIS
- Requesting Public GIS Data: Practical approaches to public disclosure requests
- The Open Data Consortium
- OPEN RECORDS LAW, GIS, AND COPYRIGHT PROTECTION: Life after Feist - excellent discussion
- FROM PUBLIC RECORDS TO OPEN GOVERNMENT: ACCESS TO MASSACHUSETTS MUNICIPAL GEOGRAPHIC DATA - paper by PhD student Robert Goodspeed
- GIS Law: First Readings in GIS Law - list of papers and case reference
- IT Law Wiki: Copyright protection of databases
- COPYRIGHT IN ELECTRONIC MAPS
Users who've mapped in Fairfax County
- Steve Jackson
- And many more of course!