I am a nautical officer, sailed as officer in world wide trade since 2001. I have experience from a wide range of ship types, and for a long time also been involved in high precission deep sea construction in the oil industry. The work have brought me a good deal around the world. I have training in the use of some types of proffesional GPS units as well as working tightly together with the Survey departments of my vessels, who on a regular basis draws maps on UTM coordinates and converts to various other projections depending on the actual project.
Since 2011 I have worked freelance as Marine Consultant, mostly with Marine Warranty Surveys, and since July 2013 fulltime as Marine Consultant. I am also authorized as Flag State Inspector for Malta covering the ports of Espírito Santo.
||On a sailing trip?|
Draw a harbour map!
- Wikipedia (English)
- Wikipedia (Norsk Bokmål)
- Wikipedia (Português)
- OSM, the map
As we live in the era of Smart phones and stupid people my current main units are a smart phone (iPhone 5S). Both with GPS and both with applications utilizing OSM in various degrees. I also have a Garmin Nüvi unit, with maps from  installed. I also have a Garmin VIRB collecting images for Mapillary.
Old, and almost unused units
- Garmin eTrex with data cable and charger cable for car. I use rechargeable batteries in it as it is somewhat battery hungry. The track files are uploaded to my Mac using SimpleGPS for Mac, and than edited using JOSM. I am looking into making a fixed car mount, or get another unit for my car. It can be good to have one unit in the car and another for tracking foot path. Any ideas for a good car unit that supports OSM maps, and exports high resolution GPX tracks?
- (Samsong Galaxy Mini) and an iPad 4. Both with GPS and both with applications utilizing OSM in various degrees.
- Guarapari, starting with primary roads and the bairro of Centro, will continue with exploring more of Guarapari Municipal.
- Highways connecting Vitoria to
Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and Belo Horizonte. Main roads connecting Guarapari to Vitoria.
- Beaches in Southern Espirito Santo.
- Amenities of Guarapari.
- Hiking Trails.
- Primary roads of Espírito Santo, connecting most of the municipals.
- Other Brazilian roads.
- Border, road,
and is_inRelations for the areas I work.
Alternative English names for the areas I know in Brazil.Not really necessary unless English name is different than Brazilian name. Accents are stripped in search engines as needed.
- Municipal of Divino de São Lourenço.
- Participating in Brazil 250 Cities to help making a routable map of Brazil.
- Importing of data, see list of current and completed projects.
- State Highways in Espírito Santo. (DER-ES WMS)
- Federal Highways in Espírito Santo.
- Importing municipality borders of Espírito Santo from IBGE data, including setting up correct border relations.
My Maps & Projects
Current Surveys & Projects
- More of Guarapari (permanent current) & General mapping
- Offline project: Making tagging presets (for JOSM) with icons (a beta available)
- Offline project: Making MapCSS (for JOSM) with icons (a beta available)
- Cleaning of imported data in Espírito Santo
- Bing tracing in Brazil, starting in southern Espírito Santo and working out from there.
- Random work where I pass
- Adding random POIs as I travel using Mapzen POI Collector/Go Map!! and similar software
- Public Transport in Guarapari
Completed Surveys & Projects
- ES-060 Guarapari - Vitória
- BR-101 Vitória - Rio de Janeiro
- BR-262 Vitória - Belo Horizonte
- Contorno on BR-101 between Cariacica and Serra (close to Vitória)
- The main links from BR-101 to Macaé.
- Main road from Arraial do Cabo to BR-101.
- Participating in B250C (Project not completed, but there is little I can contribute at the moment, and I have other priorities.)
- Importing Planimetria de Vitória (fully completed --Skippern 19:47, 9 June 2010 (UTC) )
- Streets of Guarapari by Bing tracings, still need to work on rural areas.
- CBERS Satellite Images data as available as WMS layer in JOSM when time permits
- Cosmetic wiki work on WikiProject Brazil and other wiki-pages for the brazilian wiki community
- Translating keys and tags to Brazilian Portuguese (and also some to Norwegian)
- Documenting INT-1 map symbols
- Small works, mainly on co-ordinates for Brasil 5500
- boundary=maritime (EN) / boundary=maritime (PT-br) / boundary=maritime (PT) / boundary=maritime (NO)
- amenity=marketplace (EN) / amenity=marketplace (PT-br) / amenity=marketplace (PT) / amenity=marketplace (NO)
- maxheight:legal=* (EN) / maxheight:legal=* (PT-br) / maxheight:legal=* (PT) / maxheight:legal=* (NO)
- maxheight:physical=* (EN) / maxheight:physical=* (PT-br) / maxheight:physical=* (PT) / maxheight:physical=* (NO)
- maxheight:marine=* (EN) / maxheight:marine=* (PT-br) / maxheight:marine=* (PT) / maxheight:marine=* (NO)
Marking stubs where documentation in English is not good enough. Doing some small work to improve English stubs. (Keys/Tags) IMO there should be no redlinks from Map Features. I also document tags I use primarily in English, but also in Portuguese and Norwegian.
Working on translating pages to Brazilian Portuguese in order to help recruiting more mappers from Brazil. The translations are somewhat random, but I need a good basis in English and/or Norwegian to be able to translate.
- Lists of translated keys: (Portuguese/Norwegian/English)
- Lists of translated tags: (Portuguese/Norwegian/English)
- Lists of translated relations: (Portuguese/Norwegian/English)
- Map Features: (Brazilian Portuguese/Norwegian/English)
- Needed translations.
I am documenting tags for marine mapping from a professional point of view. INT 1 standard symbols, with assosiated tags is just one example. Thinking of ways of harvesting source data in a way that allows it to be used under OSM (i.e. not taking the information out of maps and task protocols from offshore industry, but rather public broadcasts of suitable accuracy). As far as I know, getting positions of buoys, lights and platforms (among other) from Navtex broadcasts should be accepted as a Public Domain source compatible with imports both under the current CC-BY license and the upcoming ODBL license.