sport=exercise / fitness
Neither exercise nor fitness are sports!!!! They are stated as 'recommended' yet they are undocumented ..
- The tag has been created during the discussion about route=fitness_trail. We needed an sport tag as any leisure should have one. I'm wondering which sport tag you'd recommend instead of fitness or exercise? Gymnastic is misleading because it could be used for all kinds of leisure=pitch or buildings in sport centres.
- Not every tag is documented, maybe we list it in the sport=* page first --Werner2101 (talk) 08:26, 6 October 2015 (UTC)
- Not all definitions of "sport" require it to be competitive, see w:Sport#Competition. And the Dutch wikipedia is very clear about fitness being a sport (or at least a collection of sports), see w:nl:Fitness. So at least in some regions, it's considered a valid sport and deserves the tag. --Sanderd17 (talk) 11:09, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
- @Warin61 What exactly do you think should be removed? leisure=fitness_station or sport=fitness/exercise? I'm for leisure=fitness_station, but don't see the point of the sport tag here, as I don't see how it is any different than leisure=fitness_station. Aharvey (talk) 08:53, 19 September 2017 (UTC)
How to tag/map types of equipment?
The How to Map section says "Place an Node in the centre of the facility with the tag, or draw an area Area around the surface, and place the tag leisure=fitness_station on it.". I think this is good, but I'd like to see more about how to map what equipment is present. When a single fitness station exists there should only be one leisure=fitness_station either a node or area covering the extent. Then to tag individual equipment you could have nodes like fitness_station=horizontal_bar but if part of the fitness_station shouldn't have the leisure=fitness_station tag (this is implied by being spatially within the area).
An alternative to avoid mapping each equipment with exact location can I say a node leisure=fitness_station + horizontal_bar=yes + sit-up=yes? Or should this be leisure=fitness_station + fitness_station:horizontal_bar=yes + fitness_station:sit-up=yes? Aharvey (talk) 08:53, 19 September 2017 (UTC)
- If you can map the fitness_stations separately, then I'd recommend doing that and using leisure=pitch + sport=fitness on the area. Personally I'd be somewhat against tags of the type horizontal_bar=yes although they seem to be present in OSM. They make the (hypothetical) rendering of fitness_stations on the map and searching for them harder. Keimo (talk)
- I think the misunderstanding is I consider the whole area as one fitness station hence one leisure=fitness_station tag (one feature one OSM element), containing multiple equipment such as a horizontal bar, monkey bars etc. eg. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/86792203 https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/rPjBrTBoxWLSTsu1ua1VAQ. When the fitness station is tagged as an area, all the equiptment can be nodes within with just the fitness_station=horizontal_bar style tags (and without leisure=fitness_station; though that conflicts with the example given). But when the fitness station is just a node, then tagging all the equiptment needs to also be on that node. eg. https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3704091811 https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/uqH-Mal9_zKxf4viHBx9vA Aharvey (talk) 00:24, 20 September 2017 (UTC)
- Well, again I would recommend using leisure=pitch+sport=fitness on the area on your first example and adding leisure=fitness_station nodes inside. In the second example you could also use one node per fitness_station. If the stations are close to each other, I don't think the exact positioning of the nodes is that important. But, since this is not an official tag, this is all a matter of opinion. Keimo (talk) 15:20, 20 September 2017 (UTC)
- Thinking about this more, a playground and fitness_station are basically the same just one is aimed at kids and the other adults. So why not use the same approach as playground does. leisure=playground around the whole area and each individual equipment as playground=* objects, which translates to leisure=fitness_station around the whole area and then individual equipment as fitness_station=* objects. Do you know if these fitness_station object/values has been discussed anywhere on the tagging list?
- I don't get leisure=pitch + sport=fitness, we don't tag playgrounds as leisure=pitch + sport=playing, we just use leisure=playground, so it makes sense do just use leisure=fitness_station for the area, and then seprate fitness_station=* objects within for each piece of equipment? Aharvey (talk) 03:23, 21 September 2017 (UTC)
- I've just updated the page to make it in line with how playgrounds are mapped and based on the feedback at https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-April/035895.html Aharvey (talk) 12:33, 23 April 2018 (UTC)