Types of relation
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These types of relation are relations that we have in wide use. See proposed relation types below.
|multipolygon||de facto||For areas where the outline consists of multiple ways, or that have holes; also used for boundaries.|
|route||de facto||Like bus routes, cycle routes and numbered highways|
|route_master||approved||route_master contains (parallel, opposite, variant, …) routes only; heavily used to group route variants in public transport.|
|restriction||de facto||Any kind of turn restriction.|
|boundary||de facto||For grouping boundaries and marking enclaves/exclaves.|
|public_transport||approved||Part of the OSM public transport scheme. Mainly used by public_transport=stop_area.|
|destination_sign||approved||Destination signs at or before intersections.|
|waterway||approved||Relation to group elements of a waterway=*.|
|enforcement||approved||Traffic enforcement devices; speed cameras, redlight cameras, weight checks, …|
|connectivity||approved||Indicates how the lanes in the "from" member connect to those in the "to" member.|
|associatedStreet||controversial||House numbers related to a street. See Karlsruhe scheme proposal. Banned by community in a few countries.|
|superroute||controversial||Groups together a string of routes. Avoid, superroute contains (concatenable) routes only.|
|site||in use||Groups elements of a "site" with node members, instead of using a multipolygon. See Relations/Proposed/Site|
|network||in use||Relations that describe networks with their members being the members of this network.|
|building||in use||Sometimes used to group elements that form a building in simple 3D modelling, but not usually required.|
|street||proposed||Bind all parts of a street together and everything else that belongs to it. See Relations/Proposed/Street|
|bridge||proposed||Groups together all elements of one bridge. See Proposed/Bridges_and_Tunnels|
|tunnel||proposed||Groups together all elements of one tunnel. See Proposed/Bridges_and_Tunnels|
|user defined||proposed||All commonly used values according to Taginfo||Taginfo|
Proposed uses of relations
abandoned and obsoleted propositions not included
Junctions, intersections, grade separated crossings, and embankments
- Relations/Proposed/Bridges and Tunnels
- grouping all ways using a common bridge or tunnel
- all the ways that make up a junction (such as a motorway intersection)
- Relations/Proposed/Turn hints
- Hints for whether a turn is a slight left, sharp left, fork, etc.
- Relations/Proposed/turn lanes
- which turns are allowed from a given lane
Area hierarchies and other relations for areas
- to define areas between ways and lanes (linear crossover), virtual and physical dividers and crossover-possibilities, etc.
- Manually placed labels or icons in areas
- For floors in 3D-Objects (Subway stations, buildings, etc.).
- for grouping together all relevant items of a sled run.
- for grouping features with a collective name or address etc.
- Karlsruhe Schema
- Relations/Proposed/Postal Addresses
- for grouping ways into complete streets, as well as associating other elements with it
- defines a set of default values (speed limits, oneways, access) for a country, a state
- Relations/Proposed/Provides feature
- to associate an object such as a restaurant, hotel or museum with one or more map features such as addresses or entrances.