|Devices that measure and document traffic violations and their coverage zone|
|Tools for this tag|
This relation documents different kinds of permanently installed devices that measure and document traffic violations, such as:
- speed traps
- red light cameras
- distance between vehicles measuring
- weight check (heavy goods vehicles)
- ordinary traffic checks (papers, use of alcohol, etc.)
- compliance with road toll regulations (currently specifically the Toll Collect system in Germany)
- Average Speed Check (SPECS)
These devices belong to the same class of objects and shall therefore use the same tagging schema with different values. Sometimes a combination of values is required if the device serves more than one function (e.g., both a speed trap and red light camera in one device).
Where to map?
Note that some countries forbid mapping traffic enforcement installations. If rendering or displaying in a routing software or alerting in a routing software is forbidden anywhere, you can add the information to the map - renderer and routing software will make sure to follow the law. Therefore, routing software shall offer traffic enforcement features as plug-ins, so the user can choose if he wants to install the feature.
Traffic enforcement devices are not a place you'd want to go and are therefore not an amenity.
Create a single relation for each traffic enforcement device, if there are several, as each can measure different things to vehicles from different directions.
|type||enforcement||enforcement||The type of relation.|
|enforcement||maxspeed / traffic_signals / check / access / maxweight / maxheight / mindistance||maxspeed||The type of enforcement.|
|enforcement||toll||toll||HGV toll enforcement camera bridges and pillars in Germany (seeon Wikipedia), checking system compliance.|
|enforcement||average_speed||average_speed||Aaverage speed measuring speed camera system / Section Control (seeon Wikipedia)|
|maxspeed||number; specify unit if not in km/h||60||The maximum speed (optional, only specify if enforcement=maxspeed)|
|maxweight||number; specify unit if not in tonnes||16||The maximum weight (optional, only specify if enforcement=maxweight)|
|maxheight||number; specify unit if not in metres||4||The maximum height (optional, only specify if enforcement=maxheight)|
|mindistance||number; specify unit if not in metres||80||The minimum vehicle distance (optional, only specify if enforcement=mindistance)|
|maxwidth||number; specify unit if not in metres||4||The maximum vehicle width (optional, only specify if enforcement=maxwidth)|
The "mindistance" enforcement is for following distance. The "check" enforcement is for a checkpoint.
See the original proposal
Missing maxspeed value for enforcement relations
- highway=speed_camera – another tagging scheme for speed limit enforcement cameras
- man_made=surveillance - A surveillance camera or other type of surveillance equipment
- highway=speed_display - a dynamic electronic sign that displays the speed of the passer-by motorist
- amenity=weighbridge - a large weight scale to weigh vehicles and goods
- barrier=height_restrictor - a height restrictor which prevents access of vehicles higher than a set limit
- Original proposal