|latitude: 38.3, longitude: 23.6|
|Browse map of Greece 38°18′00″ N, 23°36′00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Greece is a country in Europe at latitude 38°18′00″ North, longitude 23°36′00″ East.
|OpenStreetMap images (and underlying map data) are freely available under the OpenStreetMap License.|
WANTED: a healthy and thriving community of Greek road fans and mappers from Greece and all corners of the world. Enquire below:
- Forum: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=27 (use your OpenStreetMap account to login).
- IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net/osm-gr
- Mailing list: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gr
People mapping in Greece can add their user page to Category:Users in Greece
Greek is the official language of Greece, written in the Greek alphabet. By default:
- name=* is for the Greek name (e.g. Ελλάδα)
- name:el=* is also for the Greek name, optional but encouraged for sake of completeness
- name:en=* is for the English name etc
- int_name=* is for the Latin transliteration
- official_name=* is for the long Greek name (e.g. Αποκεντρωμένη Διοίκηση Πελοποννήσου, Δυτικής Ελλάδας και Ιονίου, as opposed to just Πελοποννήσου, Δυτικής Ελλάδας και Ιονίου).
Most signs have transliterations that use the Latin alphabet (see http://transliteration.eki.ee/pdf/Greek.pdf)
As of 2011, Greece is divided into:
- 7 Decentralized Administrations (Αποκεντρωμένες Διοικήσεις)
- 13 Regions (Περιφέρειες)
- 325 Municipalities (Δήμοι)
|Admin level||Administrative division||NUTS level|
|3|| Autonomous Monastic State
Αυτόνομη Μοναστική Πολιτεία
|4|| Decentralized Administration
|6|| Regional Unit/former prefecture
Περιφερειακή Ενότητα/πρώην νομός
|8|| Municipal Unit/former municipality
Δημοτική Ενότητα/πρώην δήμος
|9|| Community/former municipal district
Κοινότητα/πρώην δημοτικό διαμέρισμα
- Macedonia - Thrace :
- Epirus - West Macedonia :
- Thessaly - Central Greece :
- Peloponnese, West Greece and Ionian Sea :
- Attica :
- Aegean Sea :
- Crete :
|Old National Highway
(Παλαιά Εθνική Οδός)
In most of Greece, Bing satellite imagery is acceptably detailed to trace in most features. They are useful for tracing routes to "isolated" villages and so on, but please respect subsequent developments, since satellite imagery can easily go out of date.
If Bing does not have imagery for an area you want to trace, try Mapbox satellite imagery or other compatible satellite imagery or check back later, as Bing periodically updates more areas to acceptable detail.
As with any imagery sources in the world, terrain can distort the imagery, making roads appear to deviate from the GPS traces: sometimes, the scale of deviation can change rapidly. In such cases, the editor should realign the Bing imagery accordingly, but consider the quality of the GPS trace as well. How much you need to realign the imagery will depend on the area you are tracing. For example: in Corfu(Κέρκυρα), you should realign by Easting: 3.07661E-6 and Northing: 6.02635E-7.
okxe.gr (web page of the former provides us with JOSM layers and detailed road maps
we can add the layer in JOSM, under imagery preferences
the road network map, based on the classification by ΔΜΕΟ can be found here
road refs and names, although helpful, they do come with some issues (multiple roads with same ref, old names, new sections, roads completely missing, lack of continuity, etc.) and should not be taken too literally. Corrections to easily overlooked errors can be explained with note:highway=*. For example, note:highway=Although OKXE shows this as ΠΕΟ1, this would have left an unacceptable gap between ΕΟ8 and ΕΟ54 ….