|Latitude: 38.15, Longitude: 24.99|
|Browse Greece map|
| External links:
|Use this template for your city|
Greece is a country in Europe at latitude 38° 9′ 0″ North, longitude 24° 59′ 24″ East.
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to Greece.
- 1 Map
- 2 Community
- 3 Administrative divisions of Greece
- 4 Roads in Greece
- 5 Names language
- 6 Tags that are used in Greece
- 7 Resources
- 8 θέματα με το Nominatim
- 9 gov.gr donating aerial imagery covering all areas of Greece?
- 10 News
- 11 Public Transport
- 12 Quality control
WANTED: a healthy and thriving community of Greek road fans and mappers from Greece and all corners of the world. Enquire below:
- Forum: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=27 (use your OpenStreetMap account to login).
- IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net/osm-gr
- Mailing list: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gr
People mapping in Greece can add their user page to Category:Users in Greece.
Administrative divisions of Greece
As of 2011, Greece is divided into:
- 7 Decentralized Administrations (Αποκεντρωμένες Διοικήσεις)
- 13 Regions (Περιφέρειες)
- 325 Municipalities (Δήμοι)
|Admin level||Administrative division||NUTS level|
|3|| Autonomous Monastic State
Αυτόνομη Μοναστική Πολιτεία
|4|| Decentralized Administration
|6|| Regional Unit/former prefecture
Περιφερειακή Ενότητα/πρώην νομός
|8|| Municipal Unit/former municipality
Δημοτική Ενότητα/πρώην δήμος
|9|| Community/former municipal district
Κοινότητα/πρώην δημοτικό διαμέρισμα
Roads in Greece
- officially there are 3 types of roads in Greece: motorways, national highways and provincial roads
- dual-carriageways with 2 or more lanes per direction, limited access through grade separated intersections
- speeds up to 130km/h
- odd motorway numbers are assigned to vertical routes, and even numbers to horizontal ones
- major motorways are numbered A1 to A8, their branches have 2-digit numbers
- minor spurs have 3-digit numbers, specific for major cities (Thessaloniki A121-129, Larisa 141-149 etc)
- 1 or 2-digit numbers defined by a government decision published in 1963, revised in 1998
- number signs appear randomly and a lot of them are wrong
- 1 or 2-digit numbers defined by a government decision published in 1956
- each prefecture has separate numbering
|trunk road|| National Highways/Avenues
|primary road|| National Highways
|secondary road|| Provincial Roads
E-road network in Greece
- Greek is the official language of Greece, written in the Greek alphabet
- most signs are also written in the Latin alphabet through transliteration (http://transliteration.eki.ee/pdf/Greek.pdf)
- street names are written with "Οδός"(street) or "Λεωφόρος"(avenue) prefix, followed by the name in genitive case (e.g. Οδός Δημοκρατίας/Λεωφόρος Δημοκρατίας)
|name=*||default name in local language||Δημοκρατίας||"οδός" and "λεωφόρος" are omitted|
|name:el=*||name in Greek||Δημοκρατίας||"οδός" and "λεωφόρος" are omitted|
|name:en=*||name in English||Democracy street/avenue|
|int_name=*||transcribed name||Dimokratias||"οδός" and "λεωφόρος" are omitted|
|old_name=*||old Greek Name||"οδός" and "λεωφόρος" are omitted|
Tags that are used in Greece
In most of Greece, Bing satellite imagery is acceptable detailed to trace in most features. They are useful for tracing routes to "unconnected" villages and so on, but please respect subsequent developments, since satellite imagery can easily go out of date. If Bing does not have imagery for an area you want to trace, try other compatible satellite imagery or check back later, as Bing periodically updates more areas to acceptable detail.
As with any imagery sources in the world, terrain can distort the imagery, making roads appear to deviate from the GPS traces: sometimes, the scale of deviation can change rapidly. In such cases, the editor should realign the Bing imagery accordingly, but consider the quality of the GPS trace as well. How much you need to realign the imagery will depend on the area you are tracing. For example: in Corfu(Κέρκυρα), you should realign by Easting: 3.07661E-6 and Northing: 6.02635E-7.
θέματα με το Nominatim
Το Nominatim είναι λογισμικό του OpenStreetMap που χρησιμοποιείται για να μπορεί ένα άτομο να αναζητήσει σημεία(όπως συνοικίες, διευθύνσεις κτλ.). Το Nominatim χρησιμοποιείται στην κεντρική σελίδα αναζήτησης του OpenStreetMap.
Στην Θεσσαλονίκη η Μενεμένη, οι Αμπελόκηποι και η Πολίχνη ήταν με τις ετικέτες place=town , δηλαδή "Μέρος κωμόπολη". Αυτά τα σημεία δεν μπορούν να θεωρηθούν "κωμόπολη" λόγο ότι βρίσκονται μέσα στην Θεσσαλονίκη, η 2η μεγαλύτερη πόλη της Ελλάδας. Τα έβγαλα και έβαλα "συνοικία"(place=suburb). Εάν κάποιο/κάποια από αυτά δεν είναι σωστά παρακαλώ βοηθήστε και διορθώστε τα.
Gymnasio Lefkimmis: Nominatim "thinks" it is located in "Zagori". That is because "Zagori" is a node and it doesn't specify an area, so Nominatim "believes" that it covers a huge area. This can be resolved by changing some tags for the node, then specify the boundaries for the Prefecture it is located in(which is Νομός Ιωαννίνων).
gov.gr donating aerial imagery covering all areas of Greece?
- An archived link for geodata.gov.gr Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ). Direct link: http://geodata.gov.gr/geodata/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=6#why
- An archived link for geodata.gov.gr/geodata/ Main page with announcement and planned work. Direct link: http://geodata.gov.gr/geodata/
- On the OpenStreetMap Forum a message stating that their licence is not yet free enough, and pending an official statement they're not yet free to use.
Municipality of Sykies
wikipedia:en:Sykies I would like for some time to add streetnames from a map of the technical department of this municipality. To do that I need to ask for permission or if they can free the data. Logictheo 08:51, 1 August 2008 (UTC)
Lets start mapping Corfu, someone has already started. Within the next couple of months we will get some GPS units in Corfu ---unsigned by Samdee21 10:22, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
I have done a lot of cycling the last week, so in a few days time a will add 300 km of cycling, pedestrian, track, etc etc.... In the neigbourhood of Kalavarda. Please check my spelling, cause it is a bit of a hassle with all those Greek symbols. GercoKees 12:41, 22 April 2008 (UTC)
The major road network of Sifnos seems to be done. A few of the major footpaths, beaches and POIs are done. Matt 21:04, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
The major road network (all surfaced roads) is done. Some (~20%, maybe) of the unsurfaced roads are done. A few beaches are done. A fair number of POIs in the Chora are present. --Matt 17:07, 31 August 2011 (BST)