|Latitude: (38.15, Longitude: 24.99|
|Browse Greece map|
| External links:
|Use this template for your city|
Greece is a country in Europe at latitude 38° 9′ 0″ North, longitude 24° 59′ 24″ East.
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to Greece.
- 1 Map
- 2 Community
- 3 Administrative divisions of Greece
- 4 Roads in Greece
- 5 Tags that are used in Greece
- 6 Names language
- 7 Resources
- 8 θέματα με το Nominatim
- 9 gov.gr donating aerial imagery covering all areas of Greece?
- 10 News
- 11 Public Transport
- 12 Quality control
WANTED: a healthy and thriving community of Greek road fans and mappers from Greece and all corners of the world. Enquire below:
- Forum: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=27 (use your OpenStreetMap account to login).
- IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net/osm-gr
- Mailing list: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gr
People mapping in Greece can add their user page to Category:Users in Greece.
Administrative divisions of Greece
|admin_level=3|| Decentralized Administration
|admin_level=5||no current use|
|they need replacement by Regional Units (Περιφερειακές ενότητες)|
|admin_level=9|| Municipal Unit
|admin_level=10|| Municipal Community
|admin_level=11|| electoral district, village, neighborhood
εκλογικό διαμέρισμα, χωριό, συνοικία
- Administrative boundaries need to be updated according to the 2011 administrative reform.
- Have a look at the talk page.
- here is a list of relations for regions and prefectures.
Roads in Greece
Οδός Ταχείας Κυκλοφορίας
| National Highway
| Provincial Road |
Motorways (αυτοκινητόδρομοι) are high speed dual carriageways with 2 or more lanes per direction, limited access, emergency lane (except mountain passeσ) and grade separated intersections. They are denoted by the A- prefix on green signs and allow speeds up to 130km/h.
Motorroads (οδοί ταχείας κυκλοφορίας) are 2 lane roads with motorway restrictions or dual carriageways with few traffic lights which generally allow speeds up to 110km/h. It is not clear which roads fall in this category, sources are ambiguous and signs only appear randomly.
National Highways (Εθνικές οδοί) usually are 2 lane roads connecting cities (population over 10000), former prefecture capitals and major points of interest (archeological sites, tourist destinations, ports, airports, border crossings). They usually allow speeds up to 90km/h.
Provincial Roads (Επαρχιακές Οδοί) are 2 lane roads connecting towns (population over 2000), municipality seats and minor points of interest.
- most motorway numbers are assigned by the administration companies
- main routes have single digit numbers (A1,A2 etc), major branches have 2-digit (A11,A21 etc), minor spurs have 3-digit numbers specific for major cities (A121,A122 for Thessaloniki, A141 for Larisa etc)
- the official source is a 1963 Kingdom of Greece decision, which is vague, contradicting and generally unable to cope with 2015 reality
- there is a 1998 revised version labeled National Road Registry which doesnt help much (too confusing)
- in most parts of the road network, there are no number signs
- their use should be optional and supplemental
Provincial Road numbering
- the source dates back to 1956
- they are prefecture specific (they are 51 roads named ΕΠ1)
- never seen on a sign or a map
Official sources about road numbering are old and contradicting. This makes mapping difficult and leads to many disagreements between users. The best way to resolve these issues is talking about them. Here are some of them:
Tags that are used in Greece
- see Bilingual_names
Η συζήτηση μεταφέρθηκε εδώ(στη σελίδα συζήτησης) The discussion was moved here(to the talk page)
This might be unrelated but on the same topic. A rendering of bilingual names as well as local language and English greece.osm-tools.org
In most of Greece, Bing satellite imagery is acceptable detailed to trace in most features. They are useful for tracing routes to "unconnected" villages and so on, but please respect subsequent developments, since satellite imagery can easily go out of date. If Bing does not have imagery for an area you want to trace, try other compatible satellite imagery or check back later, as Bing periodically updates more areas to acceptable detail.
As with any imagery sources in the world, terrain can distort the imagery, making roads appear to deviate from the GPS traces: sometimes, the scale of deviation can change rapidly. In such cases, the editor should realign the Bing imagery accordingly, but consider the quality of the GPS trace as well. How much you need to realign the imagery will depend on the area you are tracing. For example: in Corfu(Κέρκυρα), you should realign by Easting: 3.07661E-6 and Northing: 6.02635E-7.
θέματα με το Nominatim
Το Nominatim είναι λογισμικό του OpenStreetMap που χρησιμοποιείται για να μπορεί ένα άτομο να αναζητήσει σημεία(όπως συνοικίες, διευθύνσεις κτλ.). Το Nominatim χρησιμοποιείται στην κεντρική σελίδα αναζήτησης του OpenStreetMap.
Στην Θεσσαλονίκη η Μενεμένη, οι Αμπελόκηποι και η Πολίχνη ήταν με τις ετικέτες place=town , δηλαδή "Μέρος κωμόπολη". Αυτά τα σημεία δεν μπορούν να θεωρηθούν "κωμόπολη" λόγο ότι βρίσκονται μέσα στην Θεσσαλονίκη, η 2η μεγαλύτερη πόλη της Ελλάδας. Τα έβγαλα και έβαλα "συνοικία"(place=suburb). Εάν κάποιο/κάποια από αυτά δεν είναι σωστά παρακαλώ βοηθήστε και διορθώστε τα.
Gymnasio Lefkimmis: Nominatim "thinks" it is located in "Zagori". That is because "Zagori" is a node and it doesn't specify an area, so Nominatim "believes" that it covers a huge area. This can be resolved by changing some tags for the node, then specify the boundaries for the Prefecture it is located in(which is Νομός Ιωαννίνων).
gov.gr donating aerial imagery covering all areas of Greece?
- An archived link for geodata.gov.gr Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ). Direct link: http://geodata.gov.gr/geodata/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=6#why
- An archived link for geodata.gov.gr/geodata/ Main page with announcement and planned work. Direct link: http://geodata.gov.gr/geodata/
- On the OpenStreetMap Forum a message stating that their licence is not yet free enough, and pending an official statement they're not yet free to use.
Municipality of Sykies
wikipedia:en:Sykies I would like for some time to add streetnames from a map of the technical department of this municipality. To do that I need to ask for permission or if they can free the data. Logictheo 08:51, 1 August 2008 (UTC)
Lets start mapping Corfu, someone has already started. Within the next couple of months we will get some GPS units in Corfu ---unsigned by Samdee21 10:22, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
I have done a lot of cycling the last week, so in a few days time a will add 300 km of cycling, pedestrian, track, etc etc.... In the neigbourhood of Kalavarda. Please check my spelling, cause it is a bit of a hassle with all those Greek symbols. GercoKees 12:41, 22 April 2008 (UTC)
The major road network of Sifnos seems to be done. A few of the major footpaths, beaches and POIs are done. Matt 21:04, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
The major road network (all surfaced roads) is done. Some (~20%, maybe) of the unsurfaced roads are done. A few beaches are done. A fair number of POIs in the Chora are present. --Matt 17:07, 31 August 2011 (BST)