| Mongolia, Asia|
|latitude: 48.91, longitude: 107.5|
|Browse map of Mongolia 48°54′36.00″ N, 107°30′00.00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
- 1 News
- 2 Know about OpenStreetMap and how to map
- 3 Mapping projects
- 4 References
- 5 Specific tagging in Mongolia
- 6 HOT Data Exports
- 7 Communication
- 8 Exports of Mongolia OSM data
- 9 Mongolia Garmin maps
- 10 Useful links
- 11 People
2016-May-23:  Mongol Post adopts what3words as national addressing system.
See w3w for tagging in OSM.
Know about OpenStreetMap and how to map
A slideshow about OpenStreetMap in Mongolian can be found here on Slideshare.net.
Some training videos in English translated live in Mongolian can be found on the Hotosm Youtube channel:
- OSM presentation
- Starting with OSM and ID
- Introduction to JOSM
- Tasking Manager
- Mapping roads on OSM
- Barriers and Passageways
- Landuse and natural
- Garmin Etrex20
- GPX Import 1
- GPX Import 2
- Uploading Field Paper
- Photo geotagging in JOSM
For manuals learning OpenStreetMap step by step, visit the LearnOSM website. LearnOSM exists in English and also other languages, but not yet in Mongolian. If anyone is interested to translate some chapters, please go to GitHub where the project is hosted and create a "New issue" asking the administrators to create the frame for the Mongolian version you will translate.
There are many roads missing that are visible in Bing that you can add! Outskirts of Ulaan Bataar especially, and the residential areas along the highways north of town missing most roads.
Until mid 2013, Mongolia has been mapped by both local mappers and foreigners/tourists as individual contributions. No talking list was existing and not coordinated mapping through eg a Tasking Manager job. In October 2013, a training and mapping project funded by ICT World Bank involving HOT, UlaanBaatar City and the Mongolian University of Science and Technology (MUST) was conducted. See here for more details.
Late 2014, UB City and Asia Foundation partnered with Digital Globe and MapBox to get a WorldView-2 satellite imagery, from August of 2014 and June-July of 2013, in order to improve the map of Ulaanbaatar to make it easier for the city and citizens to plan for the delivery of urban services like solid waste removal, clean water, and access to health care, education and public transportation. This imagery is granted by DigitalGlobe for this project and processed and hosted by Mapbox.
In 2015, HOT welcomed a group of students interns from MUST and a collaborative project initiated by the Asia Foundation to encourage mapping through friendly competition was announced.
Locations of rivers:
- 2005 Research Data: Rivers
- 2005 Research Data: First and Second Order Streams
- 2005 Research Data: Third Order Streams
- 2005 Research Data: Four and Five Order Streams
- Major roads of Mongolia (pdf-file from worldbank.org)
- As most roads in Mongolia are unpaved, please do not use highway=track feature but rather highway=unclassified with surface=unpaved tag. This will help keeping Mongolia map consistent.
- Please use highway=tertiary only for important and relatively good quality roads regardless of the survace (paved/unpaved). Use highway=primary and highway=secondary tags only for national and inter-regional roads surfaced with asphalt.
Specific tagging in Mongolia
|building||ger||This tag can be used to tag gers rather than building=yes|
|manhole||sewer||This tag is not present in the JOSM internal preset|
|karaoke||yes||This tag is not present in the JOSM internal preset. Complement to amenity=pub|
|addr:housenumber||user defined||This tag needs to be used for the building numbers in Ulaanbaatar|
|addr:unit||user defined||This tag needs to be used for the apartment numbers that are mentioned on top on the entrances in residential buildings in Ulaanbaatar|
HOT Data Exports
- OSM data for Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia is available using HOT Export Service, Job 4990.
Log in and click on Start on new run to get a new extract to be downloaded.
You can create a new job over your Area of Interest.You just need to create an account for this. A job for all Mongolia will be provided soon.
This service provides the Data in various formats. The Shp files can be imported in GIS Softwares for Spatial analysis. The gmapsupp.img file can be imported on a Garmin GPS including car navigation devices such as Nüvi. See Instructions on how to install on your Garmin
Connect to other Openstreetmap contributors active in Mongolia:
Any question can be asked on the Hot mailing list.
Exports of Mongolia OSM data
Mongolia Garmin maps
Mongolia dedicated map compilation for Garmin devices is available at http://garmin.osmapa.pl/mapy/mongolia. This map is regularly updated.
This list is made to get useful links for the Mongolian version of this page, so that a minimum of OSM resources are available in Mongolian
Generalities about OSM
- The Open Database License (ODbL) page and the Wikipedia article about it
- Live OSM shows the edits in OSM worldwide in real time, 2 minutes ago
- The Wiki Map features list the way to describe the mapped objects
- Switch2osm.org explains some of the benefits of OSM for people already creating maps
- The HOT Tasking Manager allows to efficiently divide areas for the tracing over imagery
- The Field Papers to get an atlas of paper maps to be annotated when surveying on the field and then uploading the result that will be automatically georeferenced
Query, Analyze or Correct the data
- Map Compare, to see the difference between OSM and other maps providers, here over Ulaanbaatar
- Overpass Turbo to query the data, display and even export it
- TagInfo provides statistics about all the existing tags in OSM. It can be used to correct mistakes
- KeepRight! is a website for OSM data consistency checks and corrections
- Quality control with Osmose
- Consult the wikipage to know about the OSM API, based on RESTful concepts
Examples of OSM based webservices
- OSM RM (Routing Machine) as an example of routing webservice using OSM
- POI map as an example of webservice using OSM with WFS layers
- ITO Maps as an example of a website proposing thematic maps based on OSM data
- Umap as a webservice to make personal maps with OSM as a background
OSM based applications for iOS
For other iOS applications using OSM, please consult the IOS wiki page.
OSM based applications for Android
- OSMAnd to search and navigate
- OSMtracker to record tracks and edits (offline)
- Vespucci as an online editor
For other Android applications using OSM, please consult the Android wiki page.
OSM based applications for Windows Mobile
Please consult the Windows_Mobile wiki page.