A curated list of awesome tools about transport data in OSM
Please add your tool only if :
- it is dedicated to transport (Overpass Turbo is a very useful tool, but is not dedicated to transport so please don't add it here)
- it can be used anywhere (if it is closed source, or dedicated to a transport network or region, please don't add it here)
OSMTracker is the basic and most used application to survey tracks and stops of public transport for OpenStreetMap. With this application, you can use some public transport dedicated layouts to easily collect bus/ferry tracks and info about stops and lines.
Jungle Bus is a targeted and easy-to-use Android app for on-site bus stop collection.
MapContrib web editor
MapContrib is a webmap (with the Jungle Bus theme) to collect bus stop info.
JOSM (Java OpenStreetMap Editor)
JOSM is the mid-professional standard editor for OpenStreetMap. It is currently the most complete editor, also for public transport information, especially by extending it with some extensions/pluginsː
- PT Assistant is the most advanced plugin. It offers visual highlights, a few transport dedicated functions and several validation rules.
- Jungle Bus validation ruleset (source) provides some more validation rules.
- public transport plugin simplifies the otherwise quite intricate editing of public transport data.
- CustomizePublicTransportStop simplifies creation and setup of public transport stops in according with standards.
- User:MARC13/easy-routes(pl) - a plugin in Polish.
OSM Transport Editor
Data validation and quality assurance
There are several people creating specialist public transport maps:
- The Transport Map layer on OSM's front page by Andy Allan
- Öpnvkarte (öpnvkarte.de) (Also available at openbusmap.org for those with no Ö accessible)
- Openptmap (openptmap.org)
- OpenMap.lt public transport layer
- Just Go ! - for the region of Paris only
Public Transport Viewers
The following tools display OSM public transport data :
- OSMTransportViewer (source)
- OpenStreetBrowser, under 'transportation' > 'Public transport routes'
Unroll (source code) is a tool for viewing transport route details in OpenStreetMap. It allows you to search for transport routes and to display their details: attributes, trips, timetables, stops, shapes, etc.
Rutas is a ready to reuse website featuring bus lines in a city. It has been used so far in :
- the MapaNica.net project : Map - Source (original development)
- the AccraMobile3 project : Map - Source
- OpenStationMap displays indoors of public transport stations (including rails and platforms).
Data export and usage
gtfs-osm-sync is an open-source Java application used to synchronize public transportation data in the General Transit Feed Specification (GTFS) format with OpenStreetMap. Includes a visual editor for resolving conflicts between a GTFS dataset and edits to bus stops in OpenStreetMap.
osm-transit-extractor - source is a script that extract lines, routes and stop information and turn it into a GIS friendly format (CSV with WKT)