A curated list of awesome tools about transport data in OSM
Please add your tool only if :
- it is dedicated to transport (Overpass Turbo is a very useful tool, but is not dedicated to transport so please don't add it here)
- it can be used anywhere (if it is closed source, or dedicated to a transport network or region, please don't add it here)
- 1 Data collection
- 2 Data editing
- 3 Data validation and quality assurance
- 4 Data visualization
- 5 Data export and usage
OSMTracker is the basic and most used application to survey tracks and stops of public transport for OpenStreetMap. For this application, there is also a bus Layout - a preset to easily collect bus tracks and info about stops and bus lines.
Jungle Bus is a targeted and easy-to-use Android app for on-site bus stop collection.
MapContrib web editor
MapContrib is a webmap (with the JungleBus theme) to collect bus stop info.
JOSM (Java OpenStreetMap Editor)
JOSM is the mid-professional standard editor for OpenStreetMap. It is currently the most complete editor, also for public transport information, especially by extending it with some extensions/pluginsː
- PT Assistant is the most advanced plugin. It offers visual highlights, a few transport dedicated functions and several validation rules.
- Jungle Bus validation ruleset (fr) provides some more validation rules. (source)
- public transport plugin simplifies the otherwise quite intricate editing of public transport data.
- CustomizePublicTransportStop simplifies creation and setup of public transport stops in according with standards.
- User:MARC13/easy-routes(pl) - a plugin in Polish.
OSM Transport Editor
Data validation and quality assurance
There are several people creating specialist public transport maps:
- The Transport Map layer on OSM's front page by Andy Allan
- Öpnvkarte (öpnvkarte.de) (Also available at openbusmap.org for those with no Ö accessible)
- Openptmap (openptmap.org)
- OpenMap.lt public transport layer
Public Transport Viewers
The following tools display OSM public transport data :
- OSMTransportViewer (source)
- OpenStreetBrowser, under 'transportation' > 'Public transport routes'
Rutas is a ready to reuse website featuring bus lines in a city. It has been used so far in :
- the MapaNica.net project : Map - Source (original development)
- the AccraMobile3 project : Map - Source
- OpenStationMap displays indoors of public transport stations (including rails and platforms).
Data export and usage
gtfs-osm-sync is an open-source Java application used to synchronize public transportation data in the General Transit Feed Specification (GTFS) format with OpenStreetMap. Includes a visual editor for resolving conflicts between a GTFS dataset and edits to bus stops in OpenStreetMap.
osm-transit-extractor - source is a script that extract lines, routes and stop information and turn it into a GIS friendly format (CSV with WKT)