General Transit Feed Specification
The public transportation information such as bus stops and bus routes., originally called the Google Transit Feed Specification, was developed by Google as a format for sharing
Looking on Taginfo, some of the tags that are currently in use include: gtfs_id=*, gtfs_stop_code=*, gtfs_route_id=*. However it doesn't appear that anyone has stored the
agency_id and there is no decision about the name space, as underscore (
gtfs_) and semi-colon (
gtfs:) are in used. There's also the possibility that a single stop could have multiple carriers (operators), and therefore should be able to have multiple pairs of
- Mapping to OSM tags (draft)
Alternative for stops
In Europe, for public transport stops, the
stop_code is identical to the IFOPT references. In these situations, instead of gtfs_id=*, gtfs_stop_code=* or gtfs:stop_id=*, it is wise to use the established ref:IFOPT=*.
- GTFS Data Exchange - Data available for 1000 transit agencies (as of 9 Dec 2016), though licensing varies. Soon to be shutting down.
- Google's list of GTFS data sources
- OpenMobilityData (formerly TransitFeeds) - open source aggregation project of GTFS data.
- transit.land - commercially funded aggregation of GTFS data.
- transport.data.gouv.fr - french open data GTFS
- PTNA - Public_Transport_Network_Analysis including open GTFS data from Denmark, Germany and Switzerland
Visualizing of GTFS
- PTNA - Public Transport Network Analysis - nice online visualization of imported, open GTFS data with tag recommendations for route relations
Conversion of OpenStreetMap and GTFS
- osm2gtfs - An extendable python script to query OpenStreetMap data about public transport, combining it with time information provided from a different source and convert it into the GTFS format.
- GO-Sync (aka gtfs-osm-sync) - a desktop tool to synchronize GTFS feeds with OSM
- The external JOSM preset Public Transport GTFS supports some of the tags.
- GO-Sync - a GTFS and OpenStreetMap data synchronization tool - a Google Groups thread announcing gtfs-osm-sync, and difficulties of multiple operators for bus stops
- GO-Sync - a GTFS and OpenStreetMap data synchronization tool - gtfs-osm-sync announcement on Talk-transit
- GTFS compatibility (and  and ) - discussion on Talk-transit
- Bus stops in North America from GTFS data - thread on Talk-transit