Featured tile layers
Featured tile layers refer to the set of different map styles featured on the OpenStreetMap web site. These can be accessed and selected by activating the "Layers" sidebar and then looking under the "Map Layers" section. There are currently six layers featured, and of these the "Standard" layer is the default.
People wishing to propose a new tile layer should read the new tile layer policy and contact the Operations Working Group. Other servers, not appearing on the main page but available to public are listed at raster tile providers.
|Support||Global||Traffic||Reliable||Up to date||Open data||Non Comm||Free/Open license||OSM data||Uniqueness||Significance|
|Currently featured layers|
|OK||OK||CC0 ||Yes, except for admin boundaries at z1-z3 (Natural Earth)||Attempts to do many things at once (Jack of all trades, master of none)||Zoom: max z19
Also known as the "Default" layer. or "openstreetmap-carto". Sometime mistaken/misleading name Mapnik is used.
z12-z20 live rendering
|Open source, CartoCSS source code at https://github.com/cyclosm/cyclosm-cartocss-style/.||Zoom: max z20
Hosted thanks to OSM-Fr.
|Cycle Map||OK||OK||OK||OK||~24 hours||OK||OK||No style sheet published||landcover at z0-z8 is not OSM based||Contour lines
Focuses on bicycle features, shows bicycle routes
|Zoom: max z21|
|Transport Map||OK||OK||OK||OK||~6 hours||OK||OK||No style sheet published||OK||Displays routes, and public transport||Roads are not most prominent feature||Zoom: max z21
Promotes the same features as ÖPNVKarte.
|ÖPNVKarte||OK||OK||OK||OK||at least 5 months (unstable, see talk page for details)||unknown||OK||No style sheet published||OK||Displays routes, and public transport||Roads are not most prominent feature||Zoom: max z18
Promotes the same features as the OpenCycleMap Transport Layer
z13+ ~5 minutes
|OK||OK||CC0||OK||Focuses on the developing countries with an emphasis on features related to development and humanitarian work.||Good contrasting style in terms of overall colour choices. Terrain shading. Many new/different icons (particularly for basic amenities in developing countries) and more nuanced surface track-type rendering.||Zoom: max z20
See demo and legend. Style developed and maintained by HOT (openly on github) Hosted on OpenStreetMap.fr servers, which expect to handle the traffic.
|MapQuest Open ||Dead||Dead||Dead||Dead||Dead||Dead||Run by MapQuest||MIT license ||Dead||Different styles for different countries. Renders U.S. highway shields.||Commercial service "Simpler" style using fewer colours.||Featured in November 2011.|
June 2015 they've discontinued their documentation site and broken various things. Not looking too good for future availability.
The tile service will no longer be free after 11 July 2016 (will require subscription and authorization keys).
|NoName||Dead||Dead||Dead||Dead||Dead||Dead||Run by CloudMade||No style sheet||Dead||Debugging style for nameless roads||Removed in November 2011. There are other QA tools that display the same information and are more updated.|
|Tiles@home||Dead||Dead||Dead||Dead||Dead||Dead||OK||OK ||Dead||Used Osmarender renderer||Removed in Feb 2012. Developer support reduced Feb 2011.|
- For a long time, the OpenStreetMap web site featured two layers, Standard (then called "Mapnik") and Tiles@home. Cycle Map and NoName were added sometime later.
- April 2011 — The OpenStreetMap Foundation Board approved the proposed guidelines for adding new tile layers.
- November 2011 — Transport Map and MapQuest Open were added under the new guidelines. At the same time NoName was removed due to not being very updated and because other QA tools do it better.
- February 2012 — Tiles@home was removed due to unavailable support.
- September 2013 — Humanitarian was added. See the OSM Blog announcement and the HOTOSM blog post.
- June 2016 — The Mapquest default rendering has been removed, as it will no longer support the free tile service without paid subscription and authorization keys for each website domain, starting on 11 July 2016.
- July 2020 - ÖPNVKarte was added
- January 2021 — CyclOSM was added
Example renderings and wiki support templates
|Standard / OSM carto|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 This criterion is not part of the the official OSMF policy but has been added to Featured tile layers/Guidelines for new tile layers based on community discussion