|Access permission for speed pedelecs.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Electric bicycles that are capable of a higher speed (often up to 45 km/h) are often named "Speed-Pedelec" or "S-Pedelec". They might require registration and a number plate (license plate), and their riders need to wear a helmet in certain countries. They look like bicycles, can be ridden manually like bicycles, but are usually not treated like regular bicycles by law.
Attention: In many countries a distinction is made between two types of electric bicycles:
- bicycles with an electric motor that doesn't provide pedalling assistance above e.g. 25 km/h, often called "pedelecs" and tagged with electric_bicycle=*, and
- speed pedelecs that also provide assistance at greater speed, tagged with speed_pedelec=*.
The key speed_pedelec=* can be used to map access restrictions on highways or barriers. The possible values are the same as for any other access key. The full list can be found on the main access-Key page: Key:access#List_of_possible_values. Useful examples include yes, no, destination, use_sidepath and designated.
The hierarchy of vehicle classes may be different from country to country due to different legal definitions. According to Belgian, German and likely most European laws, the class of speed_pedelec=* is a sub-class of moped=*.
Where to use
- These tags can be used on any object that can be combined with access tags.
- Like other vehicle types, they can be combined with other restrictions (e.g. maxspeed:speed_pedelec=*).
- Combined with service tags on repair shops (e.g. service:electric_bicycle:*=* like service:bicycle:*=*).
When NOT to use
This tag should only be used if one needs to refer to electric vehicles explicitly. If not, always use the basic keyword bicycle=*.
Especially, they should not be used:
- If local law treats them identically to bicycles.
- If there is no ambiguity between electric and non-electric vehicles. For example, on charging stations the use of basic key bicycle=* is recommended because it is simpler and obviously refers to the electric variants.
|[SWR.de]||The city of Tübingen explicitly allows speed pedelecs (which would be treated as mopeds otherwise and would not be allowed) in a central tunnel for bicycles and pedestrians.||highway=cycleway
|A dedicated charging station for bicycles, using a connector known as 'ropd'. The common 'bicycle' tag can be used on charging stations, there is no need to use a dedicated 'electric_bicycle' tag here.||amenity=charging_station
|A way in Belgium where only permit holders, bicycles, mopeds class A and speed pedelecs are allowed. Moped class A is a Belgian speciality, commonly tagged as mofa=* (or as 'moped_A' or 'moped_a' in the past).
Speed pedelecs are officially called "moped class P" in Belgium and are tagged with speed_pedelec=* ('moped_p' in the past).
vehicle:conditional=yes @ permit