Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Gives details about the type or function of traffic signals.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Special traffic signals can be used as landmarks for navigation. For example, it may be easier to find a junction if you know there's a blinker there.
- traffic_signals=signal: A standard traffic signal, typically with three steady aspects. This is the default value in iD for a traffic signal node. Since this kind of signal is assumed for highway=traffic_signals, please choose a more specific value for a more specialized signal.
- traffic_signals=blinker: A 'mini' traffic signal, mounted in the normal place above the intersection, that flashes yellow if you have right-of-way and red if you must stop. Also known as an intersection control beacon.
- traffic_signals=continuous_green: Used for intersections where some lanes, separated from the controlled portion of the intersection, never have to stop and thus get a continuous green signal.
- traffic_signals=blink_mode: A normal traffic signal that can be activated but is normally set to blink. It may be changed to normal operation in the future when an intersecting road is completed or may be used only for special events.
- traffic_signals=emergency: A normal-looking traffic signal, often in front of a fire station, which turns red only to give emergency vehicles right-of-way. Color details may be different (e.g. flashing yellow instead of solid green in the bottom lens) and it may also be turned off and only activated when needed. Often a sign mounted next to the signals states 'emergency signal' or 'emergency vehicles exit'.
- traffic_signals=bus_priority / traffic_signals=tram_priority: Normally off or blinking yellow and changes to red to give priority to a bus or tram. If it is turned off in normal state, it may first blink yellow before changing to red. At some places it has only two lamps (yellow and red) instead of three. In other regions, all states are white with different shapes conveying priority.
- traffic_signals=ramp_meter: A signal on an onramp to a motorway that limits traffic to promote free-flowing traffic. May be activated only during rush hours.
- traffic_signals=controller: Not widely used. May overlap with man_made=street_cabinet + street_cabinet=traffic_control, or with widely used man_made=monitoring_station + monitoring:traffic=yes
Possible rendering: remove one of the three lenses from the normal traffic signal symbol.
- Proposed features/Emergency Traffic Signals - abandoned
- man_made=street_cabinet - may collide with traffic monitoring stations.
- Prior to iD adopting this tag as a default, it was primarily used in Helsinki. overpass-turbo