New York City
| New York City, New York, United States|
|latitude: 40.7555, longitude: -73.9739|
|Browse map of New York City 40°45′19.80″ N, 73°58′26.04″ W|
|Use this template for your city|
|local user group|
|mailing list – archive|
|OSM NYC Meetup|
The OSM NYC Meetup ...is where the local community organizes events. 251 members as of mid 2015. Join us! The meet-ups are usually thematic focused "mapping parties". The group is for any mappers and OpenStreetMap users, developers and enthusiasts in the New York Metropolitan area.
Previous mapping parties
- Recent meetups since 2011, via the Meetup group (see above)
- Wiki-Conference NYC 2010 - OSM workshop / mini-mapping party at NYU, August 29, 2010
- 25 July 2009, at ReBar in Brooklyn, NY
- 24 May 2009, at Tete a Tete in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn
- 23 May 2009, at Zanny's Cafe in Manhattan Valley
- 18-19 April 2009, at ReBar, DUMBO, 147 Front St., Brooklyn.
- 21-22 February 2009, at Five Guys
- 28-29 June 2008, at Green Map Systems
- 20-21 September 2008, at Green Map Systems
The NYC map has looked great for a long time, but the community has been busy fixing things like one way streets (important for navigation applications) and now drilling down in the detail, adding points of interest: cafes, restaurants, etc. And you're welcome to help!
NYC Buildings Addresses import is pretty much complete. This dataset from the city, included building perimeter outlines, heights, and address point data. As of mid-2014 we are in final cleanup mode. Remaining tasks are captured on Github: https://github.com/osmlab/nycbuildings/issues/
Taking this data as a start for 3D mapping of New York, several users have been refining roof-shapes and building parts data. As a manual data input process, hence some of the 3D details seen e.g. here on osmbuildings.org
landuse=residentialtag is applied in inconsistent ways (this is true outside of NYC as well). Note: this landuse tag is visible on the default style but not many popular basemap layers like Mapbox Streets. Here are some simple tasks if you'd like to improve the map:
- Remove ways where the only tag is
landuse=residentialif it is not geographically meaningful, e.g. it simply outlines a residential block. See some here: https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/tBF
landuse=residentialis used on multi-building developments that make up a geographically coherent area, like Stuyvesant Town https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/170294693
operator=NYCHAfor public housing developments operated by the NYC Housing Authority. Example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/54367928#map=17/40.69751/-73.97942
Brandon is interested in this.
Other possible imports
Many interested parties are following the progress in NYC's open data movement and the datasets opening up at data.cityofnewyork.us. Some of these are Potential Datasources which could be investigated for import to OpenStreetMap.
- Bike lanes and roads cleanup in conjunction with DoITT, an agency within the City of New York.