|amenity = public_bookcase|
|A street furniture containing books. Take one, leave one.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A(sometimes known as a book exchange) is a type of street furniture containing books. Anyone can take a book from it, or leave one of their own. Contrary to a formal library, there is no rental registry, no membership, no fees and no obligation to return the books borrowed. Books made available on a public bookcase are considered a public commodity to be shared among the local community.
Public bookcases come in many shapes:
- standing on their own: a bookcase or a small hut;
- built reusing a public amenity: an old telephone booth or the back of a bus stop;
- placed on the wall of a public place: shelves in the hall of a community center or on the external wall of a library.
They are also known under the name of Little Free Library, a project which helped popularize the movement of public bookcases. (A very special case of LFL is the Peace Pole Library - peace message in 6' tall LFL; a few have been installed at historic civil rights movement locations in the U.S. South. No apparent official tag for , of which there are 200,000 worldwide.)
How to Map
Applies to nodes or areas.
|amenity=public_bookcase||The tag used to describe a street furniture containing books.|
|name=*||Optional. Name of the public bookcase, for example hand written text on the furniture (e.g. "Thomas' Little Library").|
|public_bookcase:type=*||Optional. Distinction based designs.|
|capacity=number||Optional. Number of books the bookcase can contain.|
|opening_hours=*||Optional. Can be an important information.|
|location=*||Optional. Use location=indoor if the bookcase is inside a building.|
|description=*||Optional. Add details on how to find easily the bookcase (e.g. "Bookcase is inside the pub next to the door").|
|wheelchair=*||Optional. Please add this attribute cause a lot of public bookcase do not have wheelchair acces.|
|lit=*||Optional. Add this tag if the public bookcase is lit.|
|brand=*||Optional. Name of the brand or network of the bookcase if there is one visible (e.g. BookCrossing, Croque-livres, Little Free Library.).|
|operator=*||Optional. Name of the operator, for example a restaurant that provides the bookcase within its walls.|
|website=*||Optional. Website of the public bookcase, if one exists.|
- Public bookcases map A map with public bookcases. The map is based on OSM data.
- Open bookcase map Map with bookcases. This website use its own database to store bookcases.
Warning ! Do not import those dataset to OSM !
- A dataset can be found on website https://www.boite-a-lire.com. You can find usable exports here: https://github.com/Binnette/bookcases-to-check