|amenity = shower
|Public showers, where people can bathe under water sprays
|Rendering in OSM Carto
|Used on these elements
|Status: de facto
|Tools for this tag
Public showers, where people can bathe under water sprays. May be run as a local amenity by the government, or part of commercial provisions. May charge a fee. Beach showers are also marked this way.
How to map
Place a node centrally at the location of the showers amenity and tag it amenity=shower. If possible use an area for a shower building and add a node entrance=* to the entrance on the outline. (This is helpful for blind navigation users).
Tags used in combination
Standard combination tags:
- name=* - for the name of the showers (if they have a name)
- supervised=yes/no/interval - whether the showers are staffed with a cleaner; these showers are usually tidier, and the cleaner might expect a tip
Ideas for "access" tags:
- male=yes - male-only or segregated shower
- female=yes - female-only or segregated shower
- unisex=yes - unisex shower
- access=customers - used if shower available only for customers
- indoor=yes - indoor shower
- outdoor=yes - outdoor shower
- capacity=* - capacity of the shower in persons
Showers inside places
Camping sites often have showers for customers, usually in a central services building. You can use shower=yes on a camp site object in such cases.
Publicly accessible, non-portable beach showers used to wet the hair and body before entering the water, and to wash off dirty and salty water after leaving the lake or sea. Depending on latitude, they are seasonal (active during the bathing season) or year-round. Mostly located close to official bathing areas and waterside resorts.
Examples of standard, public, year-round, available 24/7 to anyone for a fee or for free. Mostly located along major traffic routes.
Other places created for the public to have access to showers used for washing up
Shower road signs
We could do with a better photo illustrating a shower, preferably a specifically public shower.
- amenity=public_bath - a location where the public may bathe in common. May offer more service than simple showers.
- shower=* - mark availability of the shower on camping sites and similar places
- man_made=footwear_decontamination - footwear decontamination station
- emergency=shower - A shower for use in emergency situations
- amenity=mist_spraying_cooler - a place where people go to cool themselves off on a hot day.