|barrier = ditch|
|A man made ditch or trench to prevent access to the other side.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
A ditch or a trench is a long and narrow man-made barrier dug in the ground to prevent access to the other side.
The characteristics of a ditch are: it is a man made structure and its primary use is to prevent access to the other side. It may contain little water or even be dry most of the year.
How to map
Remember that any barrier tag may interpreted as impassible for pedestrians. Leave a gap in the barrier where you can pass the ditch on foot and map bridges.
It is not possible to route along this feature.
- width=* - to indicate the width of the ditch.
- intermittent=yes - for ditches that may be either dry or with present water
- ditch=ha_ha - for the particular type of trench as an ornamental garden feature known as a "ha-ha" ( on Wikipedia).
- waterway=ditch - if the ditch contains water.
- waterway=stream - for a thin naturally-forming waterway.
- waterway=drain - for a thin artificial waterway.
- military=trench - a military trench: an excavation in the ground that is generally deeper than it is wide, dug into the ground as a barrier for military purposes (e.g. trench warfare)