|landuse = education|
|An area predominately used for educational purposes/facilities.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Educational facilities here means primarily amenity=kindergarten, amenity=school, amenity=college and amenity=university. Other facilities that are more commercial educational facilities, such as amenity=dancing_school, amenity=driving_school and so on tend not to be covered by this landuse and fall under landuse=commercial.
A landuse=education usually exist in conjunction with an amenity=kindergarten;school;college;university. This connection can either exist at the area itself, or as elements within this area, or through membership in a Relation:site.
For an area/ground that is only used by one facility. In this case it is not necessary to use landuse=education because the amenity=kindergarten;school;college;university already imply the landuse. However, it is optional that these areas are also marked with landuse=education.
A good example is the Harrison school in Canberra, Australia:
Multiple facilities on one site
If multiple facilities share one ground, the ground is mapped as landuse=education. If necessary, if the terrain has its own name, this can be specified via the key name=*. Inside the education-area the different facilities should be marked as nodes or as buildings.
A good example is the Schulzentrum Ottobeuren in Ottobeuren, Germany:
Before the introduction of landuse=education, grounds shared by multiple educational facilities have sometimes been mapped as an (additional) amenity=school. In cases where this entity refers only to the grounds and not the educational facilities tagged separately within, consider adding the landuse=education tag to it. The amenity=school tag can stay until rendering support for landuse=education has landed in order not to degrade the map for users in the mean time. While this is tagging for the renderer, the proposal for landuse=education included this transitional strategy to address a point of criticism raised by mappers who had appropriated amenity=school as a tag for (shared) campuses.
It is helpful to add fixme=Remove amenity=school when landuse=education is rendered. to indicate the reason amenity=school is kept for now, and to enable mappers to easily find such areas when rendering is more broadly available.
- The area is currently rendered by OsmAnd in its pedestrian layer, where it is given the same yellow as amenity=school areas.
- landuse=education is not rendered by Standard tile layer - OSM-carto, see talk: GitHub
Possible tagging mistakes
- amenity=university – A university, an institute of Higher Education
- amenity=college – An institute of Further Education or Continuing Education, e.g. a Community, Junior or Career college.
- amenity=school – A primary or secondary school (pupils typically aged 6 to 18)
- amenity=kindergarten – A kindergarten or preschool
- landuse=school and landuse=education usage history on a graph