|man_made = wastewater_plant|
|A wastewater plant is a facility used to treat wastewater.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Group: Man made|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A wastewater plant (also known as sewage works, sewage treatment plant, wastewater treatment plant, reclamation plant) is a facility used to treat wastewater. It includes physical, chemical, and biological processes to remove physical, chemical and biological contaminants. See sewage treatment.
How to map
Draw an area marking this feature. It is also OK to set a node at its center, if mapping as area is impossible.
Add the tag man_made=wastewater_plant
This tag is often combined with landuse=industrial, which is both correct and may help simpler data consumers.
The treatment reservoirs can be mapped as:
- natural=water - in combination with water=wastewater;
- man_made=clarifier - clarifiers
- man_made=oxidation_ditch - oxidation ditches;
- landuse=basin & basin=aeration - aeration basins;
- landuse=basin & basin=settling - settling basins.
Tanks, particularly with walls or a roof, should instead use man_made=storage_tank with content=sewage (assuming that the wastewater is sewage; other types of wastewater, such as industrial waste, should use the more general content=wastewater). Other man_made=storage_tank combinations will likely apply as well in this case.
Wastewater treatment plants (aka Sewage Farms could lend themselves to micromapping, however identifying the functions of various components may not be easy. This newspaper article provides a useful overview of these components & their functions.
- man_made=water_works - A place where drinking water is found and applied to the local waterpipes network. water works = incoming drinking water, wastewater plant = outgoing sewage.