For tagging Facebook (social network) links see facebook=* and contact:facebook=*.
For OpenStreetMap groups on the Facebook social network, see List of OSM centric Facebook accounts.
Meta Platforms (previously known as Facebook) is a large US social media technology company.
Usage of OSM Data
Meta has been using OpenStreetMap data in its maps around the world since Spring 2018, as announced at State of the Map 2018. Further updates were announced at State of the Map 2019
Map editing contributions
Meta's mapping contributions are documented at Organised Editing/Activities/Facebook
Initially Meta started importing computer vision data in Egypt without telling anyone, or following the Automated Edits code of conduct or import guidelines. The data was of such poor quality that it was entirely reverted.
Meta has been contributing to OSM via AI-Assisted Road Tracing and Kerala Road Import. Their current project is Map with AI.
Meta have a github page for this project: Facebook OSM Data Team
This project has been featured in the media:
- “Facebook uses AI to map Thailand's roads”. BBC. 24 July 2019 .
Daylight Map Distribution
Meta provides periodic OSM data snapshots that include all of Meta's fixes for vandalism and known errors in the OSM database, called the Daylight Map Distribution.
Current releases can be found on daylightmap.org. Typically, a diary will be included to go over the latest changes such as https://daylightmap.org/2020/09/25/daylight-v04-released.html .
The map distribution is composed of multiple independent components:
- a complete Planet file
- "composed of 100% OSM data, released under the terms of the Open Database License"
- the changes are included only after being "validated to contain no malicious vandalism to prevent it from being shown to our users in our display maps"
- administrative boundaries
- building footprints (from Microsoft Building Footprint Data)
- coastlines (from OSMCoastline) 
- ML-detected roads (by Meta) 
Meta has described publicly the infrastructure powering the Planet file distribution:
- In a blog post from 2019 it has described the LoChas and MaRS tools and the machine learning algorithm used for vandalism detection 
- In a SotM US presentation from 2019 it has described the machine learning algorithm used for vandalism detection 
- In a Mapping USA presentation from 2021 it has provided an overview of Daylight Map Distribution and how its process looks like 
- In an article from 2021 it has released a corpus of manually verified vandalic text 
- In an OSM diary from 2021 it has demonstrated details of map validation efforts 
- In a paper from 2021 it has described the machine learning algorithm used for vandalism detection 
Meta has developed Rapid, based on iD, for easily using the computer vision results. The computer vision software is proprietary and not released.
Facebook acquired Mapillary in June 2020.
Meta is a gold-level Corporate Member of the Foundation
Meta has sponsored various OSM events:
|2022||State of the Map 2022||Gold|
|2021||State of the Map 2021||Gold|
|2020||State of the Map 2020||Gold|
|HOT Summit 2020||N/A|
|2019||State of the Map 2019||Gold|
|State of the Map US 2019||Gold|
|HOT Summit 2019||Gold|
|2018||State of the Map 2018||Gold|
|State of the Map Asia 2018||Gold|
|State of the Map US 2018||Gold|
|2017||State of the Map 2017||Silver|
|State of the Map US 2017||Gold|
|HOT Summit 2017||N/A|
|2016||State of the Map 2016||Bronze|
|State of the Map US 2016||Bronze|
|2015||State of the Map US 2015||Bronze|
- ↑ Drishtie Patel (30 July 2018). “OSM at Facebook”. Milan, Italy .
- ↑ https://2019.stateofthemap.org/sessions/3WQKAX/
- ↑ LukeWalsh (28 August 2018). “https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17856687”.
- ↑ “Planet (Daylight Map Distribution)”.
- ↑ “Daylight Map Distribution v0.4 Released with Buildings and Coastlines”.
- ↑ “Roads (Daylight Map Distribution)”.
- ↑ Saurav Mohapatra (2019-09-30). “MaRS: How Facebook keeps maps current and accurate” (in en). Engineering at Meta .
- ↑ Saurav Mohapatra (2019-09-08). “"Keepin' it fresh (and good)!" - Continuous Ingestion of OSM Data at Facebook” (in en). State of the Map US 2019 .
- ↑ Jacob Wasserman (2021-05-21). “The Daylight Map Distribution” (in en). Open Street Map US .
- ↑ “OSM Name Vandalism Corpus Released” (in en). Daylight map. 2021-05-24 .
- ↑ Yunzhi Lin (2021-07-07). “Map Validation at Facebook” (in en). OSM Diary .
- ↑ Yinxiao Li, Jennings Anderson, Yiqi Niu (2021-10-31). “Vandalism Detection in OpenStreetMap via User Embeddings” (in en). CIKM '21: Proceedings of the 30th ACM International Conference on Information & Knowledge Management .
- ↑ “Corporate Members”. OpenStreetMap Foundation. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- ↑ “State of the Map 2022”.
- ↑ “State of the Map 2021”.
- ↑ “State of the Map 2020”.
- ↑ “HOT Summit 2020”.
- ↑ “State of the Map 2019”.
- ↑ “State of the map US 2019”.
- ↑ “HOT Summit 2019”.
- ↑ “State of the Map 2018”.
- ↑ “State of the map Asia 2018”.
- ↑ “State of the map US 2018”.
- ↑ “State of the Map 2017”.
- ↑ “State of the map US 2018”.
- ↑ “State of the Map 2016”.
- ↑ “State of the Map US 2016”.
- ↑ “State of the Map US 2015”.