|historic = fort|
|A military fort, a stand-alone defensive structure which differs from a castle in that there is no permanent residence|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
A castle in that there is no permanent residence. There may have been temporary housing for the crew.is a stand-alone defensive structure which differs from a
Forts are distinct from fortresses as they are generally more modern.
How to map?
Tags to use in combination
- name=* - name of the fort (or noname=yes if it has no name)
- start_date=* - year of completion
- architect=* - name(s) of the person(s) who designed the fort
- wikipedia=* and/or wikidata=* - for additional information from Wikimedia projects. See also Collaboration with Wikipedia.
- heritage=* - if the fort has a heritage status
- ruins=yes - if the fort is in ruins
If the fort contains any amenity such as a museum, restaurant or hotel, then add another object for this.
- historic=castle + castle_type=fortress for fortified settlements
- historic=archaeological_site and site_type=fortification for some castles which have completely vanished or of which only little visible remains exist like ramparts, moats or some stones. Also to use with prehistoric and early medieval ramparts.