|historic = fort|
|A military fort, a stand-alone defensive structure which differs from a castle in that there is no permanent residence|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
The tag historic=fort is used to map a military fort: a stand-alone defensive structure which differs from a castle in that there is no permanent residence. There may have been temporary housing for the crew.
How to map?
Tags to use in combination
- name=* - name of the fort
- tourism=attraction - is it touristic attraction?
- ruins=yes - is it in ruins?
- start_date=* - the year of the construction
- wikipedia=* - article at Wikipedia
If the fort containg any amenity such as museum, restaurant or hotel, then add another node with for these.
- historic=castle + castle_type=fortress for older constructions
- historic=archaeological_site and site_type=fortification for some castles which have completely vanished or of which only little visible remains exist like ramparts, moats or some stones. Also to use with prehistoric and early medieval ramparts.