|amenity = fuel|
|A retail facility for refueling cars|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The fuel tag is used to map a fuel station, also known as a filling station, petrol station, gas station and petrol garage. It is the retail-type facility where motor vehicles can be refueled. Fuel stations for watercraft, aircraft and rail vehicles are using different tags (see below).
How to Map
Often the station is operated operator=* by one of the major brands brand=* and has a tenant tenant=*. If the station has a name of its own, that can be tagged too using name=*. Related tags such as Addresses, phone=* and website=* can also be added.
Different fuel types are tagged as mentioned at fuel=*
Payment and Discounts
Use payment=* to tag payment options. Tag discounts as fuel:discount=<discount programme> in combination with amenity=fuel if the fuel station accepts discount vouchers, eg shopper dockets or other loyality programmes.
Add the opening hours using the key opening_hours=*. There are not agreed upon tags for different levels of service, but both self_service=yes/no and full_service=yes/no and automated=yes/no have been used. Note that a gas station can be both self serve and full serve.
Indicate the size of the station using the key capacity=*, this should be the total number of pumps available, that is the number of vehicles which could be refuelling at any one time. Optionally include more detail with capacity for specific vehicle types such as capacity:hgv=*.
- The roof of petrol stations can be tagged with building=roof and layer=1.
- It is also a good idea to tag the ways leading to, through and away from the fuel station with highway=service, access=customers and if applicable oneway=yes. Use the maxheight=* tag indicate the maximum height for a vehicle that can access the fuel pumps under the roof. Alternatively the area around the fuel pumps may be tagged as area:highway=service and surface=*.
Note the rule One feature, one OSM element!
- Or add a node with shop=convenience or shop=kiosk or tag the building related to the fuel station if there is a convenience shop or kiosk as part of the fueling area.
- Car Wash: car_wash=yes
- Toilets: toilets=yes/no
- Compressed air: Add a node for amenity=compressed_air
- Refill drinking water tank (caravans, buses etc): Add water_point=yes or add node for amenity=water_point to mark the location of this facility.
- Empty septic tank (caravans, buses etc): Add sanitary_dump_station=yes or add node for amenity=sanitary_dump_station to mark the exact place of facility.
Fuel station for watercraft, aircraft and rail vehicle
Fuel stations for other vehicle classes are should be tagged as