|bicycle = no|
|indicates that riding bicycle is not allowed.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag is used to express that cycling on given object such as highway=tertiary is not allowed.
(on way representing highway)
(on node representing crossing)
(on way representing boardwalk)
(on way representing walkway on a bridge)
Note that carrying or pushing bicycles may be still accepted.
In some places it is illegal to both ride and push bicycle but it is legal to walk, there is no good tagging scheme to indicate it, bicycle_pushed=no and bicycle_possession=no were suggested.
Objects where both cycling and walking (foot=no + bicycle=no) such as typical motorway are not problematic, as dismounting and walking while pushing bicycle is clearly not OK. There is also bicycle=dismount for tagging places where one is allowed to push bicycle but not allowed to cycle. Note that while roads/footways completely banning even pushing bicycles are quite rare compared to ones where just cycling is not allowed, bicycle=no is far more popular than bicycle=dismount. It is used over 942 000 times together with highway=* while bicycle=dismount just 73 000 times. It indicates that majority of mappers is using bicycle=no to indicate places where pushing bicycle is OK.
Even if someone is using bicycle=no with intention to state that pushing/carrying bicycle there is forbidden it is impossible to distinguish bicycle=no mapped with meaning "no cycling" and "no presence of bicycles is allowed". It makes bicycle=no and bicycle=dismount tags a de facto equivalent.
Note that some mappers used bicycle=no to mark "not even carrying/pushing bicycle here is legal".
- bicycle=dismount - that includes also more detail how dismount value appeared despite being a de facto duplicate of bicycle=no
- Key:access - page about access restrictions in general
- General page about bicycle infrastructure
- ↑ strictly speaking it is legal during very bad weather or when cycling with a small child
- ↑ https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/9158
- ↑ https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-October/thread.html#15135
- ↑ see bicycle=dismount for examples
- ↑ https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-November/thread.html#49044
- ↑ https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-November/049072.html
- ↑ https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-July/054178.html
- ↑ https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/bicycle=no#combinations
- ↑ https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/bicycle=dismount#combinations