|highway = crossing|
|The location of a designated street crossing for pedestrians, cyclists, or equestrians|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag is for the location of a designated street crossing for pedestrians, cyclists, or equestrians. In American English, a pedestrian crossing is called a crosswalk if it is marked or signalized. See Crossings for other kinds of crossings.
This tag is only used on nodes. If a crossing is also represented by a way, tag the way with a different highway=* value corresponding to the kind of path that crosses the street, for example highway=footway footway=crossing for a pedestrian crossing.
How to map
To describe the type of the transition in more detail, use:
- crossing=traffic_signals - regulated with light signals
- crossing=uncontrolled (used by JOSM preset) - with crosswalk without traffic lights
- crossing=marked (used by iD preset) - with crosswalk without traffic lights
- crossing:island=yes/no - to tag whether there is an island (former tag
- crossing=unmarked - without markings or traffic lights
- bicycle=yes/no - to tag whether the crossing is also a cycleway crossing used by bicycles. Notice that a crossing tagged with bicycle=no may be crossing a road where cycling is allowed
- horse=yes/no - to tag whether the crossing is also a bridleway crossing used by horse riders.
See the Key:crossing page for additional documentation of this and many other available subtags.
Separately mapped footways
- Main article: Sidewalks#Sidewalk_as_separate_way
In cases where sidewalks are mapped as separate ways it is necessary to also add a crossing way, from one sidewalk through the node shared with the road to the other sidewalk. footway=crossing and cycleway=crossing can be used on ways which lead from a sidewalk to the crossing node (the node which has this highway=crossing tag).
- Shows up in OSM2World and in OSM France.
- OpenCycleMap: , bicycle=yes
- It also is displayed in the JOSM Editor
Used by OsmAnd, a routing software, to signal and alert.
- railway=crossing - Pedestrians can cross a railway here
- railway=level_crossing - A crossing between a railway and a road
- railway=tram_crossing - A tram crosses the pedestrian way here
- railway=tram_level_crossing - A tram crosses the road here
- railway=railway_crossing - Crossing rails that do not interconnect
- railway=switch - A railway switch
- crossing=* - Further refinement for nodes already tagged with highway=crossing or railway=crossing
- See documentation of bicycle=dismount, see discussions such as for example https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-October/thread.html#55611 https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-October/thread.html#55632
- strictly speaking it is legal during night (when max speed on road is raised to 60 km/h and during very bad weather)