|railway = level_crossing|
|A crossing between a railway and a road.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A level crossing (where a road crosses a railway on the same level - i.e. without a bridge). Some have barriers or gates that are either automatic or manually operated. The automatic ones usually have warning mechanisms - flashing red lights or bells (or both). Some crossings do not have barriers, just the warning lights. Manually operated ones are either operated by the rail company or by the crossing user. If the latter, it may be a requirement to telephone the signal box to check it's safe to cross with a vehicle or farm animals before any gate is opened.
- crossing:activation=* - the way of operation:
- crossing:barrier=* to indicate the type of gates:
- crossing:bell=yes/no if an acoustic warning is provided
- crossing:light=yes/no to add information about lights
- crossing:on_demand=yes/no the gate opens on demand only
- crossing:saltire=yes/no if there is a warning cross
- crossing=uncontrolled - no gates, no lights, no bell maybe a warning cross
An exempt crossing is one at which commercial vehicles (goods=*, hgv=*, bus=*, etc.) may proceed without stopping. This is in contrast to normal crossings, at which commercial vehicles and school buses must come to a complete stop before crossing. Exempt crossings are designated based on strict criteria that differ widely by state or province. Some jurisdictions differentiate between exempt and abandoned (disused) crossings. As of 2021, no exempt crossings are known to have been tagged as such, but see this discussion about how to tag them.
A quiet zone is a series of level crossings at which trains are not required to blow their horns when crossing except to avoid collisions. This is in contrast to normal operating rules that require trains to blow their horns routinely at each crossing. Both quietzone=yes and crossing:horn=no have been tagged on some level crossings to indicate that they lie within quiet zones. See this discussion.
- highway=crossing - Pedestrians can cross a street here
- railway=crossing - Pedestrians can cross a railway here
- railway=railway_crossing - Crossing rails that do not interconnect
- railway=switch - A railway switch
- crossing=* - Further refinement for nodes already tagged with highway=crossing or railway=crossing
- a discussion in 2017 on the tagging mailing list about crossings of trams
- railway=tram_level_crossing - A crossing between a tramway and a road. (Status: proposed)