Beginners Guide 1.4.1
Jump to navigation Jump to search
It is time to learn a little about OpenStreetMap's tagging scheme:
- Map Features - most popular tags in OSM
- Category:Tagging guidelines by country - for tagging rules specific to some country / territory
- Category:Features - for tags grouped by their purpose or function
- Category:Proposed features - to find new tags and not-popular-yet tags
There are many tags that can be used to list all the facts about a road (or whatever you happen to be mapping), but to start with, and just to make your first contribution, you need to add only a highway tag for a road or shop for shops. From this point on, you should be able to see your work rendering (appearing) on OSM's maps, and add more and more details.
Use search at wiki
- Main article: Searching the wiki
It will be much faster than guessing tag in English.
Contact community and local mappers
Many of Contact channels contain places where you can ask questions about tags.